On the subject of Critques...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 91
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default On the subject of Critques...

I've posted this on a couple of other forums here where I hang out a lot but I thought it should probably go here for those that don't hang out there...

OK, I just realized something, I tend not to comment on images that are posted that really need a lot of work.

My question is, is that fair to the poster? I always am afraid of sounding too harsh over written word when I am finding it difficult to find anything positive to say about the image, but, they really need help, from somebody, in order to grow.

So you see my conuntrum, I want to help but I think the Critques in college left a scar on me.

Any thoughts?

Life is too short for bad wine
weinheimerphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: On the subject of Critques...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinheimerphoto View Post
OK, I just realized something, I tend not to comment on images that are posted that really need a lot of work.

My question is, is that fair to the poster?
My take is that specific criticism helps a photographer a lot more than praise. So that's not an issue.

Now, whether you can take the time to provide the criticism is another issue. That's something you'll have to decide.

Certainly if you wish to get constructive feedback on your work, it helps to return the favor.
Old 03-03-2007   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 8577

One of the main benefits of this forum is feedback of posted photos. The poster won't know what to work on if such feedback is not provided. Feedback can be given in many ways. I have always tried to be specific with my comments. If I like a photo I give specific reasons why I like it. If I think something could be changed to make the photo stronger/better then I am specific about what those changes are as well.

In my opinion feedback should be given in a positive manner to be most effective. As an example don't just say the lighting is off; rather say the lighting is off and offer a suggestion on how to improve it.

The beauty of these forums and the written word is that you can take as much time as you need to form, craft, re-word and edit your comments before posting them. So if there is something you think the poster should know tell them. Most of us here are here because we want to learn and grow in the craft of photography. We are hoping for comments. So comment away.
Old 03-04-2007   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 83

The implication is that if one posts an image for critique, then one should be resolved to receiving all kinds of feedback, constructive and otherwise. I think praise is given way too often...this only hurts, hinders and holds back the progress of the poster. I think that providing comments & criticism is the one place where the adage "if you have nothing good to say, then keep your mouth shut" does not apply. This is not to say one should be rude or cutting, however.
Old 03-04-2007   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

all you need to remember is fairness, respectful and courteous. being to short, over harsh or just cruel will make them not to post.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpickev View Post
all you need to remember is fairness, respectful and courteous. being to short, over harsh or just cruel will make them not to post.

....and if they don't post, then what?

What you wrote was correct, but I agree for different reasons....on the other side, being too "nice" is not good either. Being too nice lowers the standards of the forum at large, and makes each of us no different from Mom, Aunt Betty, or Uncle Frank, all whom "love" all our rubbish, and shower us with all kinds of unearned kudos. And when posting an image, one requires a fairly think hide...peoples feelings get hurt even if the critique is just, fair, civil, and polite.
Old 03-04-2007   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

then they are not ready. there comes a point where both sides know honesty.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

This is my two cents...

I think that most online critiques of photos are along the line of "I like it", or "If you like then it is good".

Some posted shots are good but a great majority are what should be considered as nothing but snap shots. You have to guess at the subject, dance around the background distractions, work thru the focus issues etc. In short, really don't warrant a critique. This falls into the - "if you like it catagory" and that should be about the end of any criticism. Probably silence is the best criticism here.

If a poster places a photo on-line that the photographer took time and put thought into the making of the shot then this is a different story. Perhaps he used a model, where he set lights to provide a specific look or feel, or a landscape shot that was taken during wonderful lighting. In short, time and thought went into the shot. He posts and explains what he did or was trying to accomplish. I think this deserves a honest critique.

This does not mean blast him/her with how bad the shot is and then start talking about his mothers lineage. And oh by the way, I don't care if someone decides not to post again.

If you are on a "Photography" forum and attempting to do photography - then do it. If you are on a "Photography" forum and do snap-shots then then don't post. If you want a way to decide then ask yourself, would I spend $$$ to blow this shot up into a 20x30 and have it mounted and framed for several hundred dollars to sell? If the answer is no, then don't post asking for a critique. Post your shot for us to quickly peruse. After all, just because you own a $3000 camera and lens and post a shot of fluffy the cat - and then ask for a critique does not mean you should receive nothing but glowing replies.

There are many photo forums that one can visit and post. I think one area that should be on a Photo forum is for honest criticism.
TheKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1443426
Editing OK?: No

[quote=TheKO;163494].

I don't care if someone decides not to post again.

I think a forum would last long with this attitude

If you are on a "Photography" forum and attempting to do photography - then do it. If you are on a "Photography" forum and do snap-shots then then don't post. If you want a way to decide then ask yourself, would I spend $$$ to blow this shot up into a 20x30 and have it mounted and framed for several hundred dollars to sell? If the answer is no, then don't post asking for a critique. Post your shot for us to quickly peruse. After all, just because you own a $3000 camera and lens and post a shot of fluffy the cat - and then ask for a critique does not mean you should receive nothing but glowing replies.

I disagree with a couple points here, I have seen many prints out that that are not very good at all, but they are willing to try and sell them for hundreds of dollars. I do not think just because your willing to sell them then you are good. Early on I know I took a few and printed them, and thought who is better then me attitude, but I see them now and they are not very good at all. However I did post them, which now I would consider them snapshots but then I didn't, but I did learn from my snapshots. I would encourage people to post theres, there needs a starting point somewhere.

I think there are many people out there that do not know they take snapshots, which is an opinion in ones mind. They think they are wonderful for many reasons, at least to them. I think they should post snapshots and be willing to learn from them.

RobAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232
Editing OK?: No

"I think there are many people out there that do not know they take snapshots"

OMG, you're talking about me aren't you?

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: