Are you happy with digital? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2005   #21
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Are you happy with digital?

Yes. But I've never shot film :-\ I started with low-end digital point-and-shoot, then bought KM A2 and now I'm shooting with Canon 350D. Although I have old Zenit 12XP which probably still works fine. Got it from my father ten years back.
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #22
Vicuna

There's one thing I really love about digital that nobody ever talks about:

How many copies of a slide or negative do you have? Just 1? Stored where, at home? What if your house burns down? All gone!

How many copies of a digital photo do you have? 2, or 3? Stored at home, at the office, and maybe a third location? What if your house burns down? No big deal, still got the other copies!
danwolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #23
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 35

The "bottom line":

1. I am still unhappy with the fact that digital is causing us to cast aside a wonderful, mature technology which has served us fantastically well for over 150 years.

2. That having been said, there are many reasons to be happy with digital. For me I think the very best thing about it is having control over the entire process of making a picture. Sure, I know that with film I could have had a darkroom and done all my own processing and printing, but the fact is, I never did do that. I know a lot of people have done it and continue to do it, but the other thing is, how many really ever have had color darkrooms at home?

With film I controlled the camera, the lens, and the film. I also controlled the actual taking of the picture. But I did not control processing and printing the final result. Although as a practical matter I could have gone to a custom lab and made picky little adjustments to my images, it was and is expensive, and again, I just didn't do it. Probably 99% of my film shots are either slides stored away in boxes, or 4 x 6 prints from the local Walgreens sitting in envelopes alongside my negatives. Occasionally I would get an enlargement made of one of my better slides or negatives, but again the word there is occasionally. If a print, or prints, came back exposed wrong, or cropped badly, the fact is, that print is just sitting in a box somewhere-- a reject.

With digital all that has changed for me. Now I still control the camera, the lens, the "film" (the sensor that comes with the camera), as well as how the picture is acutally taken. I take many more shots since my memory cards hold more images than a roll of film (that increases the chances of getting "keepers"). But now I also have the processing part of it at my fingertips. With Photoshop I have the ability to take those underexposed or poorly framed shots, and even some that perhaps were slightly out of focus and fix the. The fact that I can do it right at my desk on my own computer means that I DO do it. In addition, I can now print the images right out of that same computer, and I can see right away what the result is. If a print needs to be adjusted, I no longer need to find a custom lab to do it. Again, this now means that I actually DO it. Even more important, this ability means that my best shots have a much greater chance of ending up enlarged bigger than 4 x 6 and are more likely now to be framed and displayed rather than just gathering dust in a box somewhere.

Again, all of these things could be done with film (and arguably in some cases maybe still better than with digital). But the reality is, for many of us digital is causing it to acutally BE done for the first time. That is a big reason to be happy with digital!
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #24
Llama

CamelKarma: 40

I've heard it said that the difference between a professional photographer and an amateur is the number of pictures a professional takes.

While I agree with this only in part, there's a grain of truth here.

Digital has allowed me to take many more pictures and consequently end up getting many more that make me look like a better photographer than I perhaps am. Also, digital has allowed me to increase the rate at which I learn, since there's little penalty in taking rotten photographs.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #25
Vicuna

Some days yes and some days no. The really issue I have with digital is that a pro level camera can cost as much as $8,000! Film based pro cameras are $2,000 - $3,000. There is no way that there is $5,000+ more technology in the high-end digital pro.
Old 08-03-2005   #26
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Morrison
I've heard it said that the difference between a professional photographer and an amateur is the number of pictures a professional takes.

While I agree with this only in part, there's a grain of truth here.

Digital has allowed me to take many more pictures and consequently end up getting many more that make me look like a better photographer than I perhaps am. Also, digital has allowed me to increase the rate at which I learn, since there's little penalty in taking rotten photographs.
There is a price to pay for taking rotten pictures. Digital like film has a limited tonality range. A poorly exposed picture may be somewhat corrected with PS or other tools, but you sacrifice details at either end of the spectrum.

Firing off shot after shot makes for sloppy photography. Apply proper exposure and composition IMHO makes for a professional photographer.
Old 08-03-2005   #27
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwolfgang
What if your house burns down? No big deal,...
Really?? your house is burnt down and it is no big deal

hehehe...just a joke
Old 08-03-2005   #28
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
I can just see you running out of the burning house in your underwear ... clutching your computer and a bunch of disks. You know what is priceless and irreplaceable ... the pictures, the rest is just stuff.
It's funny because it's true!
danwolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #29
Llama

CamelKarma: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalPhotography
Some days yes and some days no. The really issue I have with digital is that a pro level camera can cost as much as $8,000! Film based pro cameras are $2,000 - $3,000. There is no way that there is $5,000+ more technology in the high-end digital pro.
I agree with this 100%.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #30
Alpaca

Looks like this is going to be an interesting forum. I think I understand exactly what you are saying because I feel the same way about digital having used digital since 1999, I had a Ricoh, .6 mp no zoom. Perhaps a year later I was using an Olympus D600L and loved the through the lens view finder. I thought the pictures then were fantastic though it took forever to write to the 8MP smart media card. After that I bought the 10x zoom Olympus C2100UZ and had the most fun with it. 1.93 MP and wished it had 5. I missed the 600L so I bought an Olympus E-20 and the slow write times and noisy pics made me happy again. Bright daylight pics turn out excellent and the color is great and with the noise filters out there you get pretty decent shots.

The point is, I never paid the full price for any of them since I alone don't think they are worth it but I am in a minority I know that.

Today I am looking to get a DSLR. If the E-300 came with the 14-54 I would have snapped it up.
The general consensus from reading many of the forums is that kits lenses are somewhat of a let down.
Having said that, someone posted here on PC that the 2 lens E-300 kit can be had for $700. I would like to know where?

Going back to film. I thought 35mm was rubbish after twice in the last two decades those sprockets didn't quite grab the film and the pictures were all on one frame and the rest of the roll unexposed so I never really bothered after that. I've always loved photography taking my first pictures almost 40 years ago. Read a lot of information and learned never to take pictures of people with trees coming out of their heads. Still, outside large format film I don't see a viable use for 35mm film in my future.

There's no show this fall and waiting till the spring PMA is a long way off so I don't know what the manufacturers will do with respect to the strong holiday sales period at the end of the year. As a seasoned forum reader I don't bother too much with rumors about imminent price discounts or new cameras on the horizon. For me it will be about value for money because these things depreciate so rapidly. Who wants my E-20 or C2100UZ?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: