Are you happy with digital? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005   #11
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 15
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Are you happy with digital?

Happier than ever.

Only something like the Leica Digital Module-R will be ideal.
But I can't even afford the R8/9 body to start with.
khairul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #12
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 11755

Yes - In late 1995 I had the opportunity to use one of the very first seriously good Kodak six megapixel cameras produced. It was incredibly expensive, but I bought it and it paid for itself within one year. By today's standards it would rank near the bottom in terms of usability, but it produced images good enough to make me put my F5 on the shelf and essentially forget 35mm platform film. Over the past 10 years I have kept up with the latest and greatest technology and I find that the quality of my work for clients has increased not only from the image perspective but from the turnaround time. If it's not right, I know immediately and can re-shoot and correct for tricky lighting, etc. With film I either spent hours in the darkroom and even more hours dodging, burning, or with the airbrush and other tools to get the proper results. Today in a few minutes or an hour with PhotoShop I can achieve what formerly took a few days. My clients were happier, my wallet was "fatter" and I had more time to devote to my wife and family. Digital has been very good to me.

Does this mean I've abandoned film? No, not at all. There are times and some tasks where I find film to be the better solution. I still love the aesthetics of black and white film and that certain ambiance of large format color negative and transparency. But that represents a very small percentage of both my work and my "hobby" (which is wildlife photography). Digital is here to stay and every year brings more improvements and lower costs.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin
http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 14

Amazingly Happy!!!
Old 07-26-2005   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 15

The only film I shoot these days is in a 35mm trail camera, but I would LOVE to trade up to a digital if something were to happen to it
Old 07-30-2005   #15
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 59

I have been shooting with an SLR for four years now. I just went digital a year in a half ago. I love it for the immediate response you get. I have learned so much by shooting digital, especially exposure, and digital is much cheaper.... I do find its more time consuming after the shooting is over than I did with slides. I loved the idea of shooting slides, dropping them off at the photofinishing place and then picking them up and going through them. Trash the bad and file the good and I was done. Nothing more too it. Scanning wasn't bad either. I do find digital so much more time consuming and I know it has to do with my workflow as I haven't gotten a good time one down. The most that I miss about slides, is the quality. I think the quality is so much better in slides and I love iso 50 velvia slide film and digital just doesn't compare to that on an even scale.

However, I will say that about two years ago, I was at a workshop in Montana and people there were trying to convince others that were shooting film how great digital is and i would have nothing to do with those conversations. I wanted nothing to do with digital and I wanted to always stay with film. I was hooked on film. Then a year in a half ago, I took a journalism class that was about 80% digital shooters and the others were print and I was slide. I saw the digital shooters and how things worked and all and I was hooked. I went home and ordered the 300D about a month into the class. Then the first time I had to use my film camera (at Yosemite in April of this year), I took a shot and man, it was driving me nuts, not knowing how that shot came out, do I need to retake it, how I can't see the histogram... It just drove me crazy. I never knew digital would have that kind of an effect. I don't always look at the LCD screen after each photo, but in Yosemite I looked at it often because I always had a hard time shooting there. I shot digital about 3/4 that day and then had to switch to film as I thought my batteries were dead in my digital camera even though they weren't. I didn't know that though, till after the day ended.

I still want to shoot slides sometimes, but I think I am hooked to digital for good.

Michele

Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #16
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 398383

Yes. I do not miss film one bit...

The influence of a well-balanced, well-ordered life is of inestimable value. . . . E.G. White
Kevin Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #17
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1443426
Editing OK?: No

Film whats film? Digital all the way, I love it
RobAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 22

I just got back from a week of camping. The old 35mm film canisters (yes, I threw away 2 rolls of film and kept the canisters) work great for keeping the quarters for the shower I needed after chasing deer with the digital. :-\
24-70 2.8 L
70-200 2.8 L IS
PhotoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #19
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 17

Hi
To answer your question.....no......not really. I liked film better and I'm not sure digital is cheaper.
Roger
Elitephoto9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #20
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 14

Film versus digital........ Well, I miss the mechanics of film, certainly the quality of Velvia at first and the sound of the wind on and so on, but that is nostalgia, and as they say, nostalgia isn't what it used to be. How many of us have hesitated to press the shutter because of film devolopement costs and have missed that wonderful photo. The best photo I never took is still an image in my head.Today I just buy bigger and bigger memory cards and "machine gun" away with no thoughts as to cost. The D2X and Canon equivalent are as good as 35mm now, so no, while the learning curve has been steep I don't miss it. But, are you like me in that it takes a while to overcome that hesitancy to press the shutter? Old habits die hard I guess.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: