Which is better, CMOS or CCD..?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Which is better, CMOS or CCD..?

I ran across a review the other day by a fellow who stated that CCD win every time against CMOS sensors..

Well,... I have only been shooting with CMOS.. from my D30, to what I shoot with now..

I do know that Nikon has also changed sensors in their D200, and D2x bodies to CMOS sensors,.. but I noticed that Olympus.. uses CCD sensors..

I guess it should be mentioned that the guy saying this is also sponsored by Olympus...so,...who knows... I'd just like to know what makes CCD sensors so much better than CMOS sensors..?

JP

a bunch of lighting stuff
Two eyes
One brain
...some arms & legs and stuff like that..too.. Yep! 
JohnPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Which is better, CMOS or CCD..?

...well, I honestly wouldn't know...

...but I think we are talking 'brushes' here :P , IMHO coupled with a good implied 'ImageProcessingProcessor' and firmware, both will yield excellent results...

...pure technical/electronical, there *will* undoubtedly be great differences, making one more 'usefull' for more special applications ( the Hubble telescope like 'thinghies' ) then the other, but for 'general photography' I think it is difficoult to identify a clear 'winner' ...

...based on the recent flock of DSLR's which all seem to have one thing in common : überdecent to excellent image quality ...

...*my* opinion, *my* €0.02 worth...

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul
I ran across a review the other day by a fellow who stated that CCD win every time against CMOS sensors..
When I first started looking into digital cameras, back when the Nikon D1 was popular, a salesperson at Calumet in Chicago told me this. CMOS produced "soft" images, he said, while CCD images needed less postprocessing and were crisp out of the box. Actually I've always heard that Canon's CMOS images were "soft" compared to Nikon's and needed / required sharpening.

I've read that some seek out the original Canon 1D camera because it has a CCD chip and is sharper.
Vincent Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 35

CMOS produces less noise than a CCD chip. Nikon is in the process of switching to CMOS because of that fact. From what I understand, when the CMOS chip was being shopped around, Canon was the only one brave enough to buy into it. At that point, CCD was better than CMOS. But, the other camera companies just sat back and let CMOS grow under Canon's care, so now that CMOS is at the point that was promised long ago, they're ready to switch over.

As far as I know, CMOS is currently better than CCD because of the lesser noise that it produces. Maybe, someday, it can be improved to a point where ISO 3200 is as noisy and detailed as ISO 5. (One can dream....)
Old 12-05-2006   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Actually, certerus perebus, CCDs should technically produce less noise than CMOS (this is what I've gathered from my limited reading). The big advantage of the CMOS is smaller power drain compared to CCDs. The real reason that the CMOS cameras produced by Canon exhibit better noise characteristics than current CCDs is because of how much work Canon has put into their sensors and the related ASIC blackbox processing.

I believe the application of CCDs as imagers is a a more recent development, which is why they are not as well refined. I could be wrong though, because even the CCD dates back to 1969...

Quote:
I do know that Nikon has also changed sensors in their D200, and D2x bodies to CMOS sensors
The D2X uses a Sony-based CMOS. The D200 uses a CCD, and the D80 uses a different CCD. The D2H/HS use a Nikon-designed "JFET LBCAST" hybrid between the two sensor technologies.

In the Nikon camp, the second generation LBCAST sensor in conjunction with the 12-bit ASIC found in the D2HS exhibits some of the best noise properties, and is only bested by the CCD found in the D1 series.

edits for clarification; someone who knows more about this should chime in... please! =)
Old 12-05-2006   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882

I have read that the $100,000. high level scientific sensors are CCD?
Old 12-10-2006   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

DALSA on CCD vs. CMOS. They're both good.
Old 12-10-2006   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882

Very informative article.
Thanks.
Old 12-13-2006   #9
tsp
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul

I do know that Nikon has also changed sensors in their D200, and D2x bodies to CMOS sensors,.. but I noticed that Olympus.. uses CCD sensors..
FYI....D2Hs - JFET image sensor LBCAST, D2Xs - CMOS, and D200 is RGB CCD.

Old 12-14-2006   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676
Editing OK?: Yes

cmos is easier to make and thus its cheaper. so cmos is better from a manfacturing point of view.
ccd has a better image quality so it is better from a end product point of view.

outside of this i really dont care. it comes back to which is better cd or vinyl? the better one is the one you like.

Kenko MC7 2X, Pro 300
Nkkor 50 1.8 70-300VR
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: