Tips for Shooting Action Shots
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2005   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Tips for Shooting Action Shots

Hello all,

For any action shooters on here, please post any tips that may help others as well as myself. Be it that you shoot birds in flight or a running football player, let us know what steps we might take to get more showable shots.

photosbymorgan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 40
Default Re: Tips for Shooting Action Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbymorgan2
Hello all,

For any action shooters on here, please post any tips that may help others as well as myself. Be it that you shoot birds in flight or a running football player, let us know what steps we might take to get more showable shots.
Good topic. I swear that sometimes it's very difficult, and I often wonder how much autofocus speed is involved and how much technique. In any case, we have the autofocus speed that we have, so it's down to technique. My feeling regarding the 1DS Mark II is that the autofocus tracking could be better; in fact, sometimes I feel that my 1DS has better tracking ability. But I digress.

Through experimentation, I continue to believe that using single point focus yields more keepers than allowing the camera to use evaluative or predictive focus. The exception to this is birds in flight, which are practically impossible to keep locked on to with a single point. However, I occasionally do this, as well.

Bottom line for me is that there's never one single solution. I experiment in the field with what works for a given subject. It's always the case that lots of light helps, so I attempt to shoot at a higher ISO, even when I don't need to. That is, in broad daylight I might keep the camera on ISO 200 or higher, just to make sure the camera is operating at its maximum.

If I have a choice, I use center point focus, AI Servo.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079
Default Re: Tips for Shooting Action Shots

Another photographer told me that if you use a single point focus and AI then you will have more keepers than not. Also if you are able to pan with the subject then you will get more infocus shots.

photosbymorgan2 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: