getting tack sharp images
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15915
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default getting tack sharp images

I have a problem getting tack sharp images, could it be that I forget to turn of the IS, I use a tripod often, and still get a slight fuzziness.

I have tried different fstops and also iso's for different light situations, any suggestions as to further things I could do, and my favorite type of shooting is landscapes, waterscapes, eg water rushing over rocks and small waterfalls, I also love HDR with a passion and bracket all my shots, I am always trying long exposures and have recently bought a ND Fader filter. One problem I do find with digital cameras, is do they sharpen the image in camera or not.

Old 08-25-2011   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3038224
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: getting tack sharp images

When shooting waterfalls, you have to be careful with your focus. I usually manually focus, because the sensor gets confused with all that water cascading around.
Old 08-25-2011   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Diagnosing the problem from such a discription of the symptoms is difficult, to say the least. Can you post some examples of offending images, including EXIF headers, together with pixel crops of the areas that should be in focus?

If it is a problem with the IS, most likely the blur will show an overall directionality much as if the camera moved during exposure. On the other hand, if it is a focus problem, the blur should be symmetrical, especially if the crop is near the center of the image. Or, if the exposure time is slow enough, the problem really could be camera movement even if the camera is on a tripod. For these kinds of shots, try locking up your mirror - using the Live View feature does the same thing - and a 2-second shutter delay.
scoundrel1728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #4
Vicuna

here are the images I thought I posted them but they dont seem to have appeared ..hope this works
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cement creek exif.JPG (58.9 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7420 copy.jpg (130.9 KB, 334 views)
patriciaann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #5
pop
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 346615

Where did you take this picture?..nice scene
If shooting raw then the camera does not sharpen image
If shooting with a tripod, then realistically you dont want IS...you don't want the IS moving the focal point..IE: continually hunting back and forth
Yes the image does look fuzzy, but your data shows focus is at 1.2m. Perhaps might have been better focused on the large rock in the forground.
Do you use aperture priority for your HDR?
kind regards
Old 08-25-2011   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383

When using a tripod in such an environment, be sure the legs rest on something really solid. Forest floors can be spongy.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #7
Vicuna

Shot was taken on the Mt Donna Buang Road, just outside of Warburton Victoria..place called cement creek, and here is an even neater way to see the area.. Panedia Virtual Tour - Preview all the little balloons are more photos isnt it just great
patriciaann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #8
pop
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 346615

Damn...A bit far to go this weekend....
Old 08-25-2011   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595

I don't see an exposure time. I don't know if the 17-40 has auto tripod sensing, but I have run into issues of mirror slap on exposures around one second. That looks like a 5-10 sec exposure though, so mirror slap won't affect it much.

I just got back a lens that was failing to focus, so that is also a possibility.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #10
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 383956
Editing OK?: Ask first

Looks like you focused on the log in the foreground. I would have focused a bit farther back. f/8 is generally a good bet for sharpest images, but sometimes I find that using a smaller aperture will give better images (the greater DOF that f/11 or f/13 gives counteracts the slight blurring that diffraction will cause).

Very nice composition, though!

Cheers

All images (c) unless otherwise stated.
Please ask me before editing images.
TheBigOne is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: