Photographers' rights post 9-11
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 34
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Photographers' rights post 9-11

We've all seen an erosion of the rights of photographers around the world after the 9-11 attacks in New York.

The NPAA (National Press Photographers Association) has recently released a memo entitled "Photographers' Rights To Take Pictures In Public Places."

Here it is:

http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/...08/rights.html

An excerpt:

"Photojournalists clearly have a Constitutional right guaranteed by the First Amendment to make photographs in public places. But often law enforcement officials and security agencies believe – wrongly so – that in the name of homeland defense there are new federal laws that somehow give them additional rights to restrict photography. This is just not the case."

Old 08-29-2005   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 27
Default Re: Photographers' rights post 9-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0t
Hi Albert,

It's a tough call. What do you do when a group of people take something that is normally legal and good and begin to use it for terror and murder? It is so common for people to overreact or react to the wrong thing that it's become a cliché. In the case of photo journalists, it is complicated by a general dislike and distrust by the public, due in large part to the behavior of paparazzi.
Well then, let's start outlawing knives, forks, sporks, guns, fireworks, cars, feet, hands, batteries, doorknobs, bricks, 2x4s, pipes, etc., etc., etc.
BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 34

All I know is that I now feel self-conscious raising my camera in public, almost anywhere. I feel self-conscious because I assume that at any moment I will be reported as "suspcious" or tapped on the shoulder by a "law enforcement" officer.

And I don't like that one bit. And I don't feel that I'm any safer because I have to feel self-conscious.

Where I live, there are now signs above the highway that read "report suspicious activity," followed by a 1-800 number. I hate those signs because they encourage the worst kind of behavior in people, IMO.
AlbertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 28

Photography probably had nothing to do with the 9-11 attacks. Now Structural drawings, that had everything to do with it. Photography is just easier to attack.

As a photographer my rights being taken away wrongly just really pisses me off. I have it happen to me all the time.

I finally lost my temper with one security gaurd/student on campus. Put him right in his place. And it felt so good.
Old 08-29-2005   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 28

Nah, he was trying to impress a girl by throwing authority out at me. "You can take a picture of my station!" said it twice even. Then I let him have it with "Yes, I can, because I work for the University Architects and we are designing another booth!" Felt great.

If the kid would of gone farther I would of told him to get down the head of security, who I know and that would of gone bad for the kid.

But, I am with Albert. It just makes you feel more self concious. And at that point you loose all joy out of doing photography.

I like your saying Pavel. And you know those people are just tattling away now. B@st@rd5.
Old 08-29-2005   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16

people are nervous

I was stopped outside the NY stock exchange by a large butch female cop

she said "what you doing"....."I'm a tourist" I said, whipped out my ID and was on my way. no point arguing, photogrpahers are getting questioned down cop shops for 4/5 hours all the time
caribou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
What happened to the sixties?* Don't tell me they are over ?
Ha. Most of the hippies turned into hypocrites.

At least they left us that opportunity for alliteration.
Old 08-29-2005   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16

the funny thing was she had this grin on her face like

"you're going to have to work me boy to get away with this one...."

caribou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou
the funny thing was she had this grin on her face like

"you're going to have to work me boy to get away with this one...."

::shudder::
BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 37

Try walking round within 100 yards of children carrying your camera and feel the stares from the paedophile fearing paranoids!

paulhodson is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: