Are we getting a little too eager for new gear?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2006   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Are we getting a little too eager for new gear?

I have to admit a lot of disappointment with the Canon announcements lately. Basically, rehashed product with the occasional unique model coming out (the Rebel XTi). I was really hoping for something at the high end of the spectrum, however, because....I don't know.

I can't afford a 1DSMkII and don't really need the functionality of it. I'm thinking about going FF with a 5D but would need to see some prices drive down a little. So why am I disappointed?

I think we're getting a little too gear conscious as an industry. The last "big" product rollout for Canon was the 5D. Everything else was really a rebranded, evolutionary upgrade in the last two years. On the Nikon side (which I don't pay a lot of attention to, admittedly), the D200 was the big one (or the D2X?). I noticed they've added more "s" models lately now. Sony's stuff looked interesting but I'm hardly getting rid of all this stuff just to try out a different system.

I've got a crapload of money sitting in my backpack camera case that's so flippin' heavy I need to go to the gym four days a week to keep in shape to carry it....and I want MORE? The quality of equipment and glass is beyond what the masters of the past have used yet no one looked at Ansel Adam's finished product and said "you know, if you had used L glass with that, this would be a much nicer photograph." I suppose it's time to put the gym work to use and get my lazy ass up the rocks again.

I'm done buying for a while and will quit watching the gear talk. I've got what I need for taking photos...now I just need the time to use it.

Now where is THAT in the B&H catalog?

brian.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #2
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Are we getting a little too eager for new gear?

Well although I have the 1ds2 I could do with a few more lenes but I certainly see your point . I wont be getting anthing just because its new or rehashed .
If something comes out with a genuinely technological break through like a far superior DR range then that might be a different story and I will be spending again.
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

I'm with dc2, that upgrade bug is a thing of the past for me; unless it's "genuinely technological break through" as dc2 put it.
Old 08-25-2006   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 13

After 40+ years of shooting, I have settled in to using a 20D and 3 basic lenses. The (Canon) 17/40, the 70/200 f2.8 IS, and the 28/135IS.

If I can't get the photo with this gear, then I am doing something wrong. I've said for years that ANY camera is capable of far more than what the typical user can get out of it.

A few changes in buttons or a slightly larger sensor isn't going to make me a better shooter.

Jon F.
Old 08-25-2006   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by setiprime
After 40+ years of shooting, I have settled in to using a 20D and 3 basic lenses. The (Canon) 17/40, the 70/200 f2.8 IS, and the 28/135IS.
Good for you--and the original poster is asking the right questions, I think.

I'm a strong believer that "less is more" when it comes to staying creative in photography. Gear acquisition syndrome is often a sign of flagging creativity rather than true need.
Old 08-25-2006   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt
I'm a strong believer that "less is more".
Very interesting. Maybe that's why it feels somewhat special, for me, to use primes rather than zooms.
Old 08-25-2006   #7
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290

A few changes in buttons or a slightly larger sensor isn't going to make me a better shooter.
Jon F.
Indeed it can make you a lot worse .
I switched from using a 1OD to the 1ds 2 and was horrified that I my eyes did not switch to the full frame[so to speak] , also the extra pixels made camera shake something I found I had to take into real consideration for the first time in well lit conditions.
This camera took me longer to get used to than any other .
I am a lot happier now but it took months and I am still learning about the thing.
My most recent purchase is a monopod and I love it , wished I bought it with the camera.
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 398383

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt
Good for you--and the original poster is asking the right questions, I think.

I'm a strong believer that "less is more" when it comes to staying creative in photography. Gear acquisition syndrome is often a sign of flagging creativity rather than true need.
Oh that's so true.... I've got a friend with the syndrome. Moves from one system to another looking for a home.
Frankly speaking.... He's a great photographer, but feels that the 'next' thing will get him to where he presently isn't.

I find that people who 'fish' have much in common with photographers. The better rod, reel, boat, cottage will somehow enable you to catch the 'BIG' one. My youngest just bought his first rod, reel, tackle box etc. for a whopping $15 USD. He has so much enthusiasm, he thinks he can catch just about anything with that kit.

Hmmmm... kind of reminds me of when I bought my first camera... As humble as it was, I didn't feel particularly constrained by it and 'jumped' into self-assigned projects with both feet and great gusto!!!.... AH yes.. the gold Ol' days.

The influence of a well-balanced, well-ordered life is of inestimable value. . . . E.G. White
Kevin Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

In answer to the original question, YES.

And I agree with the statement that a lot of the "upgrades" are "rehashed".

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #10
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2
[...] I switched from using a 1OD to the 1ds 2 and was horrified that I my eyes did not switch to the full frame[so to speak] , also the extra pixels made camera shake something I found I had to take into real consideration for the first time* in well lit conditions.
This camera took me longer to get used to than any other .
I am a lot happier now but it took months and I am still learning about the thing.
My most recent purchase is a monopod and I love it , wished I bought it with the camera.
So now you're saving for the 1ds3 with anti-shake, eh?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: