Who are your photographic mentors or photographic role models? - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013   #31
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 7177814
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who are your photographic mentors or photographic role models?

While Iman is good he is far from being the best photographer in the world.
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #32
Naz
Llama

CamelKarma: 20855
Editing OK?: Yes

wow- cool pghotos- love the delicate tints of the first photo-
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #33
F1 Camel

Maniksread, Here is my friend Robert Alvarado, Great Pin-Up Artist and while he is very good he's not the best photographer in the world.

Robert Alvarado Photographer - Bing Images
Old 02-20-2013   #34
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371327

My role model is Ciaran Whyte, who is a member here. I don't shoot nudes but would love to master light in the manner he does.
Old 02-20-2013   #35
F1 Camel

Wonderful work.
Old 02-21-2013   #36
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer View Post
Maniksread, Here is my friend Robert Alvarado, Great Pin-Up Artist and while he is very good he's not the best photographer in the world.

Robert Alvarado Photographer - Bing Images
Robert is a great guy and an excellent photographer, especially given he only picked up a camera late in life. He has worked in my studio before while visiting Vegas, nothing ground breaking or out of the ordinary in the way he lights, it is simple flat commercial isolation lighting. His post production workflow is a specialty and produces a unique and recognizable result.

Interestingly he shoots most of his work in his Orange County home. I found chatting with him to be an enjoyable adventure and love his finished work. i have never seen any work from him outside the genre for which he has become so well known though.

For me the list of influences is long and diverse, most have been previously mentioned here.

Arbus for her unflinching dedication to her vision regardless of what others may have insisted was the norm or the status quo

Peter Gowland for his unique position on glamour before it was acceptable and his great contributions to the genre

George Hurrell for his contributions to Hollywood Glamour and his immense influence on the use of fresnel lights in Glamour

Suze Randall for her utter mastery and contributions to the development to the Laddie Style. Her understanding of the physiology of eroctisim laid the foundation for today's modern glamour nude and commercial erotic imaging

Karsh, simply one of the most emotive portraitist to ever expose a frame

Dean Collins for his utter understanding of the control and manipulation of light and his unparalleled ability to teach others.

Current photographers who produce work I aspire to

Sue Bryce - one of the most amazing ambient light Boudoir photographers shooting today. Working with everyday women the transformative Boudoir portraiture she creates is nothing short of amazing. A master at posing, light, composition and elegant yet simple wardrobe design. She also utilizes the physiology of photography to elevate her results

Jerry Gihonis - his handling of people is perhaps his most amazing skill. The more I practice and the more I study I come to realize that mastery of the technical aspects of this trade / art is but a small percentage of the equation for success. The greater skill that separates the good for the great is their ability to visualize the result and the ability to regulate and manipulate their subject. Establishing interpersonal interaction at an effective level with the subject that produces a calm and relaxed subject that utterly trusts the photographer is criticle to success. There are many who have been listed here who have those skills and I believe it is those skills that result in them being continually added to lists such as these.
Old 02-21-2013   #37
F1 Camel

Bobby
Old 02-23-2013   #38
Llama

CamelKarma: 455110
Editing OK?: Ask First

If it weren't for Dean Collins, I wouldn't be a photographer. He more than anyone taught me lighting and the controls of it. Becoming a close personal friend didn't hurt either. Being able to assist him on many seminars and a few jobs, helped me realize how important light control is. I hear so many other top pros give kudos to him as well. No one to this day taught lighting better or more entertaining as he did. I am so thankful that he was a huge part of my life and will never forget him. I think of him everyday and every time I shoot.

From a business standpoint, I have to say Charles Lewis changed the way I view the sales end of things. We forget we are not just photographers/artisits, but we are also salespeople. And if we're not, we better hire someone who is if we want to survive as a professional. Even Dean touched on marketing and sales a little during his seminars and the importance of it. It doesn't matter how well you shoot, if you can't sell it, than your just better off enjoying at as a hobby.
Old 02-23-2013   #39
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First

This thread has a cumulative list of all the greats and I could not question any one of them as fine choices of great inspiring role models. When I started out as a serious student of photography I learned so much and was inspired by just about all of them who were working in that era. I did not have the financial resources at that time to travel and go to the many lectures and seminars that were given by some of the greats. I am not old enough to have studied with Mathew Brady. I did, however, meet Ansil Adams at 2 workshops that I attended and Peter Gowland from whom I purchased 2 Gowlandflexes- they came with a couple of days of talking to Peter at his largess- WOW!. Both of these men were extremely inspiring. I lived in NYC as a kid and did have access to some of the many lectures by notable photographers because my fist boss paid for my admission or took me along as his guest to many educational events . I allways loved Karsh and I got to meet him many times up here in Ottawa which was his home town as well as mine for many years. Hes was very enigmatic but very charming. I got to assist him on 3 occasions - long story but is was llife changing for me!- Lot of fun too! I once met Anne Lebovitch- shook hands- very nice lady!

The ones I really looked up to on a daily basis were some great but virtually unknown photographers- wedding guys- new photographers and some fine portraitists who "gave the kid a break", took me under their wing and taught me the ropes. Some of theses guys were sensitive artists and others were like grizzly old drill instructors but their teachings will remain with me forever. They took me to association meetings, exposed me to some of the greatest teachers and seminar givers of the time and taught me to handle myself and my money.

Ed

Last edited by Ed Shapiro; 02-23-2013 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: lousy spelling- bad typing- I need a secretary!
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #40
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3654690

W. Brooks Short

Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
This is the Internet and sometimes you just have to put your big boy pants on.
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: