Who are your photographic mentors or photographic role models? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011   #11
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2891
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who are your photographic mentors or photographic role models?

Personally I don't like locking into a particular photographer's work. I try to look for ideas from all works, not lock into a particular photographer. I prefer looking through books that have different photographers/studios showing their work, rather than all the work from one photographer.

For instance I may like Howard Schatz's "Botanica" shots, but I don't like his "Body Knots", so I try to look at the work rather than the person (although in this case we have the same fetish for redheads). But his "Botanica" work is the same idea over and over again, just with different flowers. Ansel Adams books, all landscapes.

Actually I prefer to get inspired by my own experimentation. Sure I might do what XYZ photographer has done before me...but maybe I get a more interesting result by trial and error on my own rather than studying what someone has done before me and trying to mimic them.

So I guess experimentation is my mentor!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13073

Zack Arias...everyday person with a camera. That's me.
liquidslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #13
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2193768

I marvel at the legacy of William Mortensen and how much it was suppressed by Ansel Adams. I badly want to produce even a single image that invokes Clarence Sinclair Bull.

Of current photographers Bill Gekas is extraordinary: Bill Gekas Photography | The Gallery

And there are several great photographers who frequent the Camel and share their knowledge, who inspire me and fill me with gratitude.
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #14
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPSHoncho View Post
Who are your photographic mentors or photographic role models?
Yousuf Karsh (portrait)
Peter Gowland (glamour/fashion)
Francesco Scavullo (glamour/fashion)
Mathew Brady (reportage)
David Hume Kennerly (reportage)
Margaret Bourke-White (reportage)
Alfred Eisenstaedt (candid)
Linda McCartney (candid)
Erich Salomon (candid)
Lawrence Parent (landscape)
David Muench (landscape)
Tim Fitzharris (landscape)
My Father
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #15
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1374
Editing OK?: Ask first

Living photographers I'd love to share a pint with - For general photography, I like Zack Arias...he has a common sense, unpretentious approach. Don't agree with everything he says/does but he's just a down to earth guy and that's rare among successful photographers these days. He is very into "simple"and that's something I strive for in what I do.

James Nachtwey - This mans work is amazing. Another humble photographer that deserves the attention he's received.

Dead - I've been studying Garry Winogrand lately. What fascinates me about him is I don't think he was that great of a photographer...I mean, he was a professor of the craft, but his technique appears to be of the "spray and pray" concept. What fascinates me about the guy is the images he decided to keep and what is also fascinating is after the work he left behind was processed, I honestly don't think his curators know how to read it or how to make sense from it. I'm thinking he may have had psychological issues that could be seen in a lot of his work.

I like Henri Cartier-Bresson because everyone glorifies his work by looking at his images, but most fail to study the guy and his technique directly. I mean when people these days compare work, they look at his blurry images and think "oh how amazing- he broke the rules" but what they don't realize is he despised flash photography (as he didn't crop his images and composed based on what he say through the rangefinder). Put yourself in his shoes - he was an unobtrusive observer...and that was what he strived for in his work.
Ed Endicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #16
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 1229896
Editing OK?: No

Ed brought up Garry Winogrand. I am a great admirer of his work. And yes, he did have issues. Rumors have floated around for years, that at the end, he was literally sleeping with his camera.

Salgado has influenced me because of his rare ability to make something look haunting and beautiful when it is anything but that.

I admire Elliott Erwitt because of his sense of humor that he so well portrays in a lot of his work.

Diane Arbus for capturing the weird and the absurd- traits that I believe exist in every single one of us, whether we want to acknowledge them or not.

And finally, Robert Frank, who changed my life the first time I opened his book, The Americans. I was a 15 year old kid, adrift in a sea of unfulfilled promise and desperate hope. When I first saw the images by Frank, I knew exactly at that moment, what I wanted to do in life. The road has been bumpy and full of weird twists and curves, but I would not change one minute of it.

There are others, but these four great photographers come to mind immediately.
Old 02-18-2013   #17
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 630
Editing OK?: No

Wedding Photojournalism - Todd Laffler and David A Williams
Wedding photography in General - Marcus Bell and Jeff Newsom
Ethnic Weddings - Dina Douglass and Baz Kanda
Senior Portraits - Kirk Voclain and Dan Rowe
Pin up Photography - Robert Alvarado
Boudoir Photography - Critsey Rowe

Elizabeth

Liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #18
Naz
Llama

CamelKarma: 20855
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Endicott View Post

I like Henri Cartier-Bresson because everyone glorifies his work by looking at his images, but most fail to study the guy and his technique directly. I mean when people these days compare work, they look at his blurry images and think "oh how amazing- he broke the rules" but what they don't realize is he despised flash photography (as he didn't crop his images and composed based on what he say through the rangefinder). Put yourself in his shoes - he was an unobtrusive observer...and that was what he strived for in his work.
To see how technical and precise bresson's photography really was, you shoudl check out adam marelli's site where he scrutinizes bresson's photos and proves that henri was VERY precise in placement of subjects according to precise geometric positions- He woudl sit for hours if necessary waitign with his camera in just hte right position waiting for people to coem by and hit just the right key positions- there was nothign hasphazzard abotu his shootign at all- he was a master of geometry and composition- soemthign that isn't really noticeable until someoen points it out and shows that in photo after photo- bresson utilized precise compositions based on known and proven successful compositions- just like artists do who plan out every placement of subjectsd before they even begin to paint-
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #19
Naz
Llama

CamelKarma: 20855
Editing OK?: Yes

Rick- Robert Frank's photos were hauntingly powerful photos- Truly an inspiration for street photographers and candid portrait photographers alike- Even for urban photographers as they have almsot a 'grunge' quality to them. Even though his photos depict life as it was happenign ll aroudn him, he was always somehow able to isolate the subject to make it seem as though they were the only action happening i nthe scene- as though they were soemhow disconnected from the scene somehow- Lange with her depictions of poverty was also able to accomplish this too- but frank's photos just ooze power-
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #20
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 302446

For me it would be Joel Grimes. It took me a 2.5 years of messing about with all aspects of photography from landscapes to water drops to finally find what I enjoy the most.

I enjoy portraiture, but there is something about bringing two different elements together and making a story. There are many photographers who's work I admire, but to select just one would be Joel Grimes

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: