Attention to all who are using Camel Dark and Camel Dark II themes
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006   #1
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Attention to all who are using Camel Dark and Camel Dark II themes

Hi All. You may have noticed a new menu item in the masthead called 'Change theme'. This was added recently to make it easier for anyone to try a new look on the camel. This is all part of a list of new enhancements that we are planning around enhancing usability, and we hope to roll out more features in the near future (e.g. being able to maintain your own bookmarks of threads, enhancements to image uploads etc).

To make life simpler for the developers we would like to remove a couple of themes that don't follow the style and code templates of the 'standard' PhotoCamel layout. These themes are 'Camel Dark' and 'Camel Dark II'.

In truth, these two themes were cobbled together rather quickly to satisfy a demand for a 'dark' theme. They've served their use as we now have a 'Camel Dark III' theme that adheres to our layout and design principles, and which should satisfy those of you (like myself) who prefer a dark theme.

To this end, we will shortly be removing these two themes. If you are using such a theme, please select an alternative (maybe via the nifty 'Change theme' link at the top of the page) as soon as is convenient. For anyone who has not changed, their theme will be reset to the default theme.

Old 08-03-2006   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 1688
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Attention to all who are using Camel Dark and Camel Dark II themes

Aaaw! Camel Dark II was my favorite and the one I've been using since it was created!
Old 08-03-2006   #3
senses working overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric_r
Aaaw! Camel Dark II was my favorite and the one I've been using since it was created!
I know... :-\ I think dark II may be a bit of a problem as it's popular with a number of regular contributors. As someone who works in this area though you'll appreciate the need to consolidate to one design and coding base for ease of maintenance and future expansion . We won't be removing the themes just yet, but try at least dark III and see if you can adapt to it.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 1688
Editing OK?: Ask first

I completely understand. It's just that Dark III is a bit too dark and posts aren't separated clearly enough with lighter borders. Dark II was just perfect for late night viewing.
Old 08-03-2006   #5
senses working overtime

ok - well we can probably tweak the borders a little, which will make it a lot closer to dark2. Colours aren't a problem to change, it's just where the menus and buttons are that the themes diverge.
Old 08-03-2006   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1362
Editing OK?: Ask First

fine by me

Dark III is the one I use due the the fact the the header is dark as well, a lot easier to use at work if you know what I mean

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, but a few electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric_r
I told Paul we'd have to keep that one. It is nifty. Paul, I'd vote for keeping Dark II as well.

Old 08-03-2006   #8
senses working overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt
I told Paul we'd have to keep that one. It is nifty. Paul, I'd vote for keeping Dark II as well.

We can probably keep the colour of dark2 and apply it to the standard layout. That way the code is the same across the themes (which is the important bit if we want to keep the site and software up to date!), but it should look pretty close to the current dark2.
Old 08-03-2006   #9
Jon
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: No

Ok, I'm on dark 3 now...As long as there's a theme that the main background is relatively grey without being black so that image colours appear properly...
Old 08-06-2006   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

I appreciate your endevors of expandability, and know that you know you'll never be able to make everyone happy.

I for one never even thought of using a dark background for late night viewing. I see the advantages even before i change to dark III to see what all the fuss is about. Brilliant! Absolutly brilliant. Maybe now I won't sneeze from the light of the screen.

JP

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: