Digital video camera for a DSLR user
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 450
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Digital video camera for a DSLR user

We need a quality digital video camera. I know nothing about these things, but I do know that as a DSLR user, I'm pretty picky about quality. Which models are good? What should I look for? Budget would be about $2,000.

Old 07-25-2006   #2
Jon
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Digital video camera for a DSLR user

If that's your budget, I'd say that JimmyD is most likely going to give you the best hands-on experience feedback.

Off the top of my (outdated education) head, I'd say that you're looking at the Canon XL or GL 1 series, or the Panasonic AG100 (I think it is) series.

Our video shooter uses a Panasonic and really likes it...

Old 07-25-2006   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

I think one of the most critical "features" that a video camera must have is the ability to shoot well in low light situations. Many of the situations that you'll want to shoot in are "low light" to a camera. The Sony cameras excel in this area, and I'd look there first. Look at a PD170 if you're shooting in standard definition. This is a very portable camera but of professional quality. It is NOT a pocketable camera, however. Perhaps someone else can suggest something smaller.
Old 07-25-2006   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

We have a Sony DCR-TRV9 (circa 1998 or so) and a slightly newer one also by Sony that's quite a bit smaller. Personally, I'd look elsewhere, as the controls on most of the consumer DV cams really, really suck. According to my dad, who follows this kind of stuff, Panasonic's the current leader in best value for money, but he hasn't seen the need to upgrade ours yet.

My choice would probably be the Canon GL series, as I tried out the GL2 my friend Jenny had with her, and it was pretty awesome. The XL series is more expensive, but has interchangeable lenses (can take Canon L glass, I believe) and has a RRS plate made specifically for it.
Old 07-25-2006   #5
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

I know very little of other video cameras, but the one I've had for the last 5 years or so has been brilliant - a Panasonic MX300 with 3 CDD. Original price was around 1500 ($2500 +-). However, if I were to buy one now I'd probably be looking at the HD hard disk models rather than the DV tape one that I have. I'd also be looking at true 16:9 rather than the 4:3.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane
My choice would probably be the Canon GL series, as I tried out the GL2 my friend Jenny had with her, and it was pretty awesome. The XL series is more expensive, but has interchangeable lenses (can take Canon L glass, I believe) and has a RRS plate made specifically for it.
Well, here's a vote against the Canon GL(2). That's one of three that I tested out. I found it shoddily built (lots of plastic), creaky, and with image quality not nearly as good as the Sony PD170. The Sony is a bit more expensive, but worth it by far.

I looked into the Canon XL line, but then you're also looking at lenses, and, well, you know the story: the sky is the limit on spending.
Old 07-25-2006   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

Guess I should have tried it out longer, LOL. It seemed to hold up okay, but we weren't doing much with it either. Guess when your own camcorders are plastic fantastic Sonys (one of which likes to spit out parts needed to load the DV tape properly- they went back just fine, but I don't trust the thing anymore), anything else feels pretty good. LOL
Old 07-25-2006   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first

We have a Sony VX-2100 at school (I work for a university) which lists for $2299 at B&H. Like Blinky said, the lowlight capabilities are amazing in the Sonys. I've used it under regular house lights and it looks like I shot in a studio. It is an amazing camera. It used MiniDV, which is probably what you want to use for the best quality, IMHO.
Latinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #9
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 307172

Can't comment on the GL-2 but we use the Canon GL-1 in the video production studio almost daily.

Very well built, extremely cost effective, outstanding low light focusing, superior image quality, readily available MiniDV tapes, Firewire connection, (which should be a necessity these days).

Dowside....they don't make 'em anymore.
We did buy two backup units on eBay for about $1,000 each.

We shot a local swim meet at Texas Tech under contract for Sports Illustrated a few years ago. I was surprised to find the GL-1 on the list of format camera footage they accepted.
Old 07-29-2006   #10
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 9005

I bought the panasonic 280 for the low light shots and it works like a charm, it's a cheap 3CCD cam and it really shows.
I had a Sony before this but it was 8 years old

Next year I will switch to the HD cameras.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: