Nikon flash vs Canon flash
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 450
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Nikon flash vs Canon flash

I've been trying to understand the differences between the way Nikon cameras use hotshoe flash and the way Canon cameras use it. Has anyone here used both systems? If so, how do the two systems compare regarding ease of use and flash consistency?

Old 07-17-2006   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Nikon flash vs Canon flash

The default and/or automatic settings suck for both systems. "Auto Balanced Fill Flash", for the most part, doesn't work consistently. I haven't used the Canon system enough to draw a meaningful conclusion, but they both seem to perform just fine when you are the one making the decisions for what the thing's doing.
Old 02-07-2009   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 51

generally speaking nikons flash and auto focus systems are superior to canon.haveing said that up until the new d3x canon has enjoyed an edge in overall image quality!built qualitys a wash.the higher the price of the camera the better the built regardless of brand.
machmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No

Having used both Nikon and Canon systems, I wouldn't say either is superior to the other, only different. I struggled with Canon at first because I was used to Nikon's system. After I figured out what I was supposed to be doing, it became much easier. In general, I'd say Nikon's system is a bit easier, but it's been awhile since I've used Nikon.
Old 02-07-2009   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 17673
Editing OK?: Ask first

I never use the auto system myself. I alwyas tweak the flash to what I want it to do at any given time.
Joves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
The default and/or automatic settings suck for both systems. "Auto Balanced Fill Flash", for the most part, doesn't work consistently. I haven't used the Canon system enough to draw a meaningful conclusion, but they both seem to perform just fine when you are the one making the decisions for what the thing's doing.
Hey Michael,
You and I and Thom Hogan seem to be the only people who agree on this subject. With all the engineering that has gone into the modern flash systems, the only way to be sure of the outcome is to shoot manually. I continue to use, very successfully, the old SB-26 on my Nikon DSLR.
Old 02-07-2009   #7
KmH

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumesan View Post
Hey Michael,
You and I and Thom Hogan seem to be the only people who agree on this subject. With all the engineering that has gone into the modern flash systems, the only way to be sure of the outcome is to shoot manually. I continue to use, very successfully, the old SB-26 on my Nikon DSLR.
Oh, there's more that agree, but you guys are doing a great job the rest of us can just sit back and lurk.
Old 02-07-2009   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumesan View Post
Hey Michael,
Me too,,, I'm using a Canon 540ez on my Nikon dslr. Talk about shooting manually...lol
roncgizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #9
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

Nowadays, even with highly sophisticated electronics being built in to many camera/flash systems the are still the old gremlins of automatic flash photography rearing their ugly heads: Inconsistent exposures, subject failure. underexposed backgrounds and overexposed foregrounds- no better than what was achievable with flash bulbs in the 1950s.

Hot shoe flash mounted atop the camera just a few inches away from the lens, at best yields flat and uninteresting lighting unless it is used in conjunction with off camera flash units. In order to really master flash technique it is advisable to understand the manual methods of using flash equipment as well as an all over familiarity with photographic lighting in general. Even when the system is in auto mode- savvy users will know how to make variations by "fooling" the automatic system with individualized adjustments.

I have been a Nikon user for years when I use 35mm gear or a DSLR but I think the Cannon system is fine. The gold standard, to me, is to get a demonstration of each of the cameras you may be consideration and see how it feels when you wrap your hands around the body. Operate the controls and find out what is more comfortable for you. This sounds very unscientific but what you want to do as you become more experienced in photography is to have the camera feel like it is an extension of you hands and your heart. Any system that "gets in the way" between you and your subject is cumbersome and your work will suffer.

I am sure you will get more opinionated answers on this thread as time goes on but you will have to be the final arbiter when you write the check for the camera.

When photographers are very product-loyal- that is not a bad thing. Most experienced photographers around this forum are well meaning and generous people and when they have good service and results from their equipment the want to share the experience with you and recommend what the feel is the best.

Good luck! Ed
Old 02-08-2009   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post
When photographers are very product-loyal- that is not a bad thing. Most experienced photographers around this forum are well meaning and generous people and when they have good service and results from their equipment the want to share the experience with you and recommend what the feel is the best.

Good luck! Ed
Honest Ed,
I wasn't going to say a word. I promise.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: