Photographer's insurance for equipment and liability
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2683
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Photographer's insurance for equipment and liability

I am learning the hard way that I need to buy a photographer's insurance plan to cover theft, fire, liability, and a variety of other situations. Having just had a break-in, and lost a fair amount of gear, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for knowledgeable, and reputable insurance agents that specifically design plans for photographers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to cover roughly $15,000-$20,000 worth of equipment both in my office, and on location.

Old 07-19-2005   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 40
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Photographer's insurance for equipment and liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevilaquafoto
I am learning the hard way that I need to buy a photographer's insurance plan to cover theft, fire, liability, and a variety of other situations. Having just had a break-in, and lost a fair amount of gear, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for knowledgeable, and reputable insurance agents that specifically design plans for photographers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to cover roughly $15,000-$20,000 worth of equipment both in my office, and on location.
What you should do first is find out whether your current insurer offers a "rider" policy for your camera equipment. Most insurers will require that the equipment used solely for personal reasons. Perhaps you can fudge this, but it may not be wise if it's easy to figure out that you do make money with the equipment.

I have USAA, a good insurer, but I understand there are others out there that are just as good.

Definitely get your equipment insured. As important as anything, too, once it is insured, is keeping up with the ever-changing list of when you own.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #3
Guanaco

Yes, business use versus personal is the important point. I can get a renter's policy for my apartment, and contents, but if I am not honest aout the fact that my computer, camera gear, and other stuff is for business use, they can void the contract. Also, photographer's insurance covers you on location, provides liability insurance for a particular location and covers assistants, models, and rental gear. It gets rather complicated, and I need an agency that specializes in photographer's services. It has been a while since I have had this kind of insurance, and have not been able to find anyone yet.
bevilaquafoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 22

I have Traveller's. It covers my equipment 24/7 no matter where it is, even in an un-occuppied vehicle. I searched through PPA and WPPI. Both have realtaionships for professional insurance. One thing to watch is rental gear. It's a pain each time I rent. I need to call and jump through hoops, touch my right ear while humming the star spangled banner. There has to be an easier way, but I haven't found it yet.
24-70 2.8 L
70-200 2.8 L IS
PhotoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
I have Traveller's.* It covers my equipment 24/7 no matter where it is, even in an un-occuppied vehicle.* I searched through PPA and WPPI.* Both have realtaionships for professional insurance.* One thing to watch is rental gear.* It's a pain each time I rent.* I need to call and* jump through hoops, touch my right ear while humming the star spangled banner.* There has to be an easier way, but I haven't found it yet.
How expensive are they and do you have a link for them?

I have around 15 thousand in equipment I need to insure.
Old 07-22-2005   #6
Vicuna

Wow, I'm glad my wife,....'er.......CEO, knows what she's talking about. We haven't been with Traveller's for about 5 years. Ooops. We are with Hartford. The our agent, who has been awesome, is Hill & Usher at (800) 457-2379 and they are aligned with WPPI.

http://www.hillusher.com/wppi

I don't know cost right now. My CEO isn't home and I'm not touching QB.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I like best about having the insurance. The equipment insurance is great, but I also hang lights over CEO's heads and the liability insurance is definitely reassuring.

Anyway, let me know if I can help.
24-70 2.8 L
70-200 2.8 L IS
Old 07-23-2005   #7
Guanaco

Thanks, PhotoJoe! I am downloading an application for a quote now. Have you ever had occasion to file a claim? How did they handle it? How quickly? Did they give you any grief about it? Any help would be appreciated. i am finding alot of mainstream insurance brokers out there who will sell you a policy no problem, but don't really understand all the issues involved with photography and I don't want to get screwed when trying to file a claim.
bevilaquafoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005   #8
Vicuna

You are very welcome. I hope it helps. No, I have never filed a claim. I know sales jargon and claim hassels are different, but they have always been re-assuring to me that they are there for me no matter what. They know our business, and what we need. I feel better knowing that WPPI has adopted them as their preferred partner. If they screwed too many photographers, the Wedding and Portrait PHOTOGRAPHERS association would drop them like a hot potato, I hope. Let us know your experience with them.

10d
17-40 F4 L
24-70 2.8 L
70-200 2.8 L IS

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: