motion blur
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15915
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default motion blur

I was trying to take an image through the windscreen with some of the dashboard sharp, but the scenery outside the car blurred, so I presumed a longer exposure, a few seconds. The shots came out overexposed. I was using a Canon 24-105 on a canon 5d mk11 set at around 35 on f22, should i use an ND filter, any help please...I also had the camera on a monopod

Old 08-14-2010   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 144834
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: motion blur

You need a much shorter shutter speed, not longer. I can't think of any reason to have a shutter speed of 2 seconds while traveling in a moving car. Everything would just be a blur! Try 1/500 sec or 1/1000 sec. I don't think there would be any need for a ND filter unless you wanted a very narrow depth of field in bright daylight, and that doesn't appear to be the case here.
mjp321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15915

thanks for your reply, but I think I didnt explain myself correctly, I wanted the image to be blurred outside the car, with the dashboard sharp...
patriciaann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 144834

Do you want the scenery to have motion blur (as per the title of your original post) or just blurred from being out of focus? I originally thought the motion blur was your problem. You may need to get some neutral density filters if you want what's outside the car to be out of focus, especially if you're shooting under bright daylight conditions.
mjp321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes

I have a hunch you're going to have a very difficult time getting the shot you want because of the different light levels between the interior of the car and outside.

I'd be incline to shoot two shots - one that captures the dash the way you want it, and another shot of the passing scenery - and composite them. If you can manage to get a tripod in the car and get the two shots with the camera secured in the same location, compositing should be quite easy.

It also sounds like you're going WAY too long on the shutter speed. Motion blur should be apparent at 1/100th, 1/50th, 1/30th exposures. Going for a couple of seconds won't get you motion blur, but a completely blurred frame.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 17673

I get what you want. Yes you can use an ND to drag the shutter for motion blur. I would use say an ISO of 200 100 if you have it and, stop the lens down. You should really put the camera on some sort of mount for stabilization. Depending on your speed you can get a good effect with even 1/25 shutter speed. You will also need a good smooth road even with the camera stabilized because any bouncing will throw off the areas you want sharp.
Old 08-14-2010   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 95733

Hard to predict the shutter speed which will give you the desired blur at whatever speed you're moving, but 1/30 would be a good starting point. You probably don't want the outside blurred AND out of focus, so stop down from your max aperture. But Zemlin's right, it will be several stops brighter outside the car than inside. A split ND filter might be something to try. Also shoot on a cloudy or cloudy-bright day, if possible.
Glendower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

How you do a shot like that is use a flash inside the car. Set the f/stop for the flash exposure, and set the shutter speed to give you the proper outside exposure at that f/stop. Of course you have to have the shutter speed within your flash sync range, you may actually need that ND filter to get that. You probably want to bounce the flash off the inside of the cars roof.
Old 08-14-2010   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 586316

I am not sure about your explanation of what you are trying to do; but, if I understand correctly, your big problen is trying to do this with a monopod. You need to better secure the camera inside the car. You either have to have a means of fastening the camera to an interior feature of the car, or you have to mount it on a tripod that is secured in the interior. Is this the type of shot you had in mind?

This was taken with the camera tripod mounted. The tripod was placed over the passenger seat with two legs wedged tightly to the sides of the seat and the third leg in the foot well. Nikon D300, Sigma 10-20 @ 10mm, 30 sec. @ f/22, ISO 200.

www.pbase.com/cliffb
CliffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendower View Post
Also shoot on a cloudy or cloudy-bright day, if possible.
or at night

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: