Printing Help - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 95733
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Printing Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
You did not say what camera you are using. If, like me, you use an Olympus, or most P&S cameras, then your image ratio is not 3:2 but 4:3. The only way you are going to print a 4x6 from a 4:3 image is if you allowed extra room for cropping to 3:2.

On the other hand, if you are using a DSLR that has a 3:2 image, when you want to do an 11x8.5 you are going to have to crop heads and legs unless you allowed for the crop when taking the photo.

So, it is six of one, and a half dozen of the other. You just have to realize that you are going to have to make an oversize image and crop to your paper size if you are printing in a different ratio than your camera sensor has.
Exactly right, Tom. I have some flower macros which I shot way too tight. That was no problem when I printed them on 8x11 paper and just clicked the "fit to page" option. But I literally cannot print these in some standard sizes without losing some of the image. Had no intention of ever printing them 4x6 or 5x7 when I shot them, but things change.

Thank heavens for high-res sensors. We can shoot a bit loose and crop as desired, no problem.
Glendower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010   #12
KmH

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holguin View Post
Im shooting with a Nikon D5000.
Then before cropping your photos will have a native aspect ratio of 3:2 which is what a 4x6 (Vertical), 6x4 (horizontal) is.

When you cropped the photo you cropped to an unknown aspect ratio.

You can keep the photo as is if you put it on a white canvas that has 3:2 aspect ratio and is larger than the photo is. The photo will then have some white border.
Old 08-09-2010   #13
Llama

CamelKarma: 95733

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmH View Post
Then before cropping your photos will have a native aspect ratio of 3:2 which is what a 4x6 (Vertical), 6x4 (horizontal) is.

When you cropped the photo you cropped to an unknown aspect ratio.

You can keep the photo as is if you put it on a white canvas that has 3:2 aspect ratio and is larger than the photo is. The photo will then have some white border.
Very good advice, Keith. And sometimes, if you can fill the canvas with an appropriate color, the colored border around the cropped photo might not be all that noticeable.
Glendower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #14
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

It is interesting, when I learned photography the way we did things was make a print the size and shape that looked right we then cropped the paper to match that. It was in the 70's that we started trying to match the image to the paper. I guess that was when first 3.5x5 with a 1/4" boarder, and then 4x6 boarderless prints came to be the standard instead of the N print with was 3.5x4.5 with a 1/4" boarder which was the standard for decades prior to that.

I kind of think it would be nice to go back to that free form shooting where we cropped the image to make the picture we wanted instead of to fit the paper we have on hand.

www.tomrit.com
tomrit is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: