Moody night photography
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Moody night photography

How can I get a nice, crisp night time shot? There is this really cool twisty street right in front of my house that looks really creepy at night. Tried to get some shots of it last night, but they came out grainey and red instead of the nice yellow that it really looks like. It's the dark photo in my gallery. I also tried to get some pics of the moon poking out from behind some trees, but I couldn't get the tree in focus. Tips?

Old 07-24-2010   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Moody night photography

Tripod and long exposure. Get a remote trigger to avoid camera shake from pressing the shutter or use your camera's timer set to like 2 seconds to give the time for you to push the button and not cause motion blur. Pick the aperture you want and then adjust the shutter speed until it looks how you want. Also, shoot in raw or adjust the white balance until it looks correct. This will also allow you to use a less grainy iso on your camera.

As for keeping the trees in focus, you have to have a deeper aperture and focus on the trees to keep it and the moon in focus, I believe. Or if you are wanting the trees in focus specifically, you might have to manually focus on them.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673

Low ISO, longer shutter speeds balanced with wider apertures, RAW format and, most of all, a tripod with either the timer or a remote shutter release.
Old 07-24-2010   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1096
Editing OK?: Ask First

What camera are you using?

ks
KEVINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINS View Post
What camera are you using?

ks
Panasonic Lumix G1. I used a tripod, aperture set to 4 and shutter speed really slow. Haven't figured out how to adjust the ISO.
newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 17673

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Panasonic Lumix G1. I used a tripod, aperture set to 4 and shutter speed really slow. Haven't figured out how to adjust the ISO.
Its the up button on the 4 way and using the command dial in either direction till you get the ISO you want is displayed in the LCD.
Old 07-25-2010   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544
Editing OK?: Ask First

It will also help to get your white balance in the ballpark if you set your white balance to tungsten or incandescent. It won't be perfect but it will be closer to the way you visualize it at night than going to sunny white balance and it is a lot more reliable than relying on auto white balance.

Some camera models lacking manual focus nevertheless have a preset to infinity for landscape photography. If you have this capability, use it. Or use manual white balance, first checking the infinity focus for accuracy in brighter light.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: