Your backup strategy for photos - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Your backup strategy for photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
This subject gets posted again and again. Instead of reposting my replies to a previous one I will just suggest that anyone wanting information on this do a search on the subject.
I've heard this search thing before about old threads, but new technology and new options come up so fast, it's probably worth a new thread occasionally.

I'd guess that every 6 mos there's a new option or better way at this point almost.

I just use an external drive and backup on another external drive.
If it's a particularly important thing I back it up on DVD also.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #12
Llama

CamelKarma: 4520
Editing OK?: Yes

I am not a professional photographer either, but don't know what I'd do if I ever lost my photos.

I have a Synology NAS, with 2 TB (Raid 1) and use the Synology Data Replicator to sync any new and changed files to that device. Once a week it runs a scheduled full backup.

Also weekly, on a different schedule, I use Windows Backup and Restore to do a full backup and create a recovery disk.

On the infrequent occasions that I shoot film, I scan the negatives so copies of those images are backed up as well.

Every few months I copy the backups and give to family so there's a copy out of the house.

Who learns will love and not destroy the creature's life the flowers joy
jcjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #13
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684
Editing OK?: Ask First

Well, in the late 80's I had all my stuff stored at my parents house. The house burnt down. Everyone got out but the cat. But everything in the house was destroyed. That included all the family photos from the past.

So, I think off site storage would be a good idea. DVD's in a safe deposit box or at a relatives house would be a good idea. If you are a pro, keeping a set at the studio and another at home would be a good idea, in fact if my living depended upon my images I would say studio, home, and safe deposit box, and a off site server would be the way to go.

Online storage is not back up, at the most it is redundancy. Think of a direct lightning strike on your power lines, every piece of electrical equipment in the house is is likely to be toast. That includes everything on those hard drives you guys are bragging about.

Everytime I mention DVD's a someone jumps in and says they will not last. Funny thing the Library of Congress will accept DVD's as proof of copyright on you images, they seem to think they will last awhile.

Just to give an idea there are 8 hotswap hard drives in this computer I am typing this on. 2 are in a raid-1 array for the OS and software. 4 are a raid-5 array for data, including photos. 2 more are currently unplugged, but periodically plugged in for backups of My Documents, and photos. There is a server in the other room with a pair of big drive in raid-1 for archiving the files from this workstation. That is a lot of redundancy, but none of it is truly backup. I copy my raw files to DVD, that is backup. Ideally I should keep copies off site, but I have nowhere to do that these days, and no real reason to do it.
Old 07-13-2010   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 123
Editing OK?: Ask first

Good grief! I have no real backup strategy! I just dump a copy of my photos on a USB Hard drive aside from them residing in my local Hard drive.
shutterpeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

The lazy way...DROBO

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: