back to the basics again :(
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 575
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default back to the basics again :(

Hi, so i thought i was beyond learning the basics of aperture ect but it seems im back to the very basics (which kinda makes me think i'll never be good at photography)...
So, i read (on various different pages here and there) that aperture isn't just what you dial in on the camera but is also affected by lens lenth and also how close you are to the subject...
i kinda new a bit about the last part from trying to do macro..
just so i got this right the smaller the f/number is lets say mine is f/5.6, with a long lens at the longest point lets say 200mm with me as close to the subject as possible will get me the most shallow dof i can get with a 55-200mm f/5.6 lens?
hope i made sense, i wasn't sure how to word it...
thanks from Casey.

Old 07-05-2010   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 144834
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: back to the basics again :(

Yep, I'm pretty sure your assumption is correct. And if you want a very shallow depth of field with a shorter focal length, you'll probably want to look into getting a faster lens.
mjp321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 2930828

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready.set.go View Post
Hi, so i thought i was beyond learning the basics of aperture ect but it seems im back to the very basics (which kinda makes me think i'll never be good at photography)...
So, i read (on various different pages here and there) that aperture isn't just what you dial in on the camera but is also affected by lens lenth and also how close you are to the subject...
just so i got this right the smaller the f/number is lets say mine is f/5.6, with a long lens at the longest point lets say 200mm with me as close to the subject as possible will get me the most shallow dof i can get with a 55-200mm f/5.6 lens?
thanks from Casey.
That's about it , I have a series of samples on my blog on aperture but here are a few pictures from my blog .

We all go through these stages of thinking we have it , then we find out something new and we think we know nothing again .
Part of learning is realizing how little we know .

Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #4
Guanaco

Hey Desmond, thanks so much, i checked out your blog, i've read the aperture section and now i'm reading over exposure...then i'm gonna read "exposure and noise...very happy now, its like i just got a new photo book to read...i'm such a geek lol.
ready.set.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #5
Bactrian

Quote:
Hey Desmond, thanks so much, i checked out your blog, i've read the aperture section and now i'm reading over exposure...then i'm gonna read "exposure and noise...very happy now, its like i just got a new photo book to read...i'm such a geek lol.
Good to know , I'm open to suggestions for improvement as well !
Old 07-05-2010   #6
Guanaco

not sure about improvment...
i love the um cant spell the word but the way you use other things to make a point like with the radio and the tap...makes it easy to understand, mainly because your refering to something familiar which for me works great.
i just read the exposing to the right, cleared up some things for me...i get so frustrated when i go for a shot and its too dark..i'm too scared to up the iso too much so i get a still somewhat dark photo but now its noisy when i try to brighten in pse8...thanks for sharing these.
ready.set.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #7
Bactrian

Quote:
not sure about improvment...
i love the um cant spell the word but the way you use other things to make a point like with the radio and the tap...makes it easy to understand, mainly because your refering to something familiar which for me works great.
i just read the exposing to the right, cleared up some things for me...i get so frustrated when i go for a shot and its too dark..i'm too scared to up the iso too much so i get a still somewhat dark photo but now its noisy when i try to brighten in pse8...thanks for sharing these.
No problem , much of what I have learned was on the forums anyway
Old 07-05-2010   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 147
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
thanks from Casey.
you've mixed a few things here.

The aperture is the diameter of the opening of the front element. It is measured in (milli)meters.

The f number is the ratio between the aperture and the (equivalent) focal length. It is undimentional.

The depth of field depends on aperture, the focal length (thus the f number) and the focusing distance.
Scoril0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoril0 View Post

The aperture is the diameter of the opening of the front element. It is measured in (milli)meters.

The f number is the ratio between the aperture and the (equivalent) focal length. It is undimentional.

The depth of field depends on aperture, the focal length (thus the f number) and the focusing distance.
Wow, I didnt know this. I thought the aperture and the f stop were the same thing. Not sure I completely get it, I keep reading that sentence over again, but I at least get that I didnt have that concept down right at all! LOL
JudiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 951730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoril0 View Post

You are correct and I would add that the aperture of the front element is changed as the iris of the lens changes. For example if a lens is 1" in diameter and has a focal length of 2" then the f number is 2/1 = 2 but only if the iris is wide open. If the iris size is changed so that the light coming through the front element reduces the diameter of the front element to 0.5" then the f number is 2/0.5 = 4.Hope it helps

.....Canon A630
===========================================
TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU LIKE TO BE TREATED. Mt. 22: 39
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: