Need a little advice! - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 11763
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Need a little advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
Why Nikon?
H1DDEN is now using a Nikon point-and-shoot, and said he preferred a Nikon.

Nikon and Canon are both remarkably good DSLR's and each has an extensive line of lenses. Both Nikon and Canon offer a wide range of camera bodies, from "starter" to consummate professional usage.

Some people who started out with either Canon or Nikon and eventually went up to the top of the line bodies, have owned and used the same lenses that they started with because the lenses work with all the bodies.

Of course the big diffence between cameras, whether it be Canon or Nikon, is the person behind the camera!

Nikon D700 Nikkors: 35/f2D, 16-35/f4VR, 28-300VR, 70-300VR.
Feisol CT-1471 Monopod Manfrotto 190CXPro4 Tripod w/496RC2 Ballhead
Gitzo 1325 Mountaineer Tripod w/ReallyRightStuff BH-55 Ballhead
My Website http://kensphotos.weebly.com
or
View My Photos at http://flickr.com/photos/ken-l/collections
Ken-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4301
Editing OK?: Ask First

I would most likely be shooting outdoors. Weather it be landscapes or people. I do like the idea of a macro lens as well as a wide lens (close ups and landscapes). Mind you I do not know really anything about what to buy I am just saying what I have read/heard.

As for the brand.. like Ken said.. I already have a Nikon plus I like the few models I got my hands on in the store. Not really a big reason to choose the brand.

I kind of figured I wouldn't get much with 500 dollars but if it means getting me started then that is good enough for me. I want a decent camera and eventually when I learn what I am doing, a better more expensive camera.
H1DDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #13
Photocamel Master

With a tripod and zoom lens, you will be able to do some nice close-up work. It isn't true macro, but it is a start, and only requires the one lens. You will quickly learn what you like most.

The best way is start shooting anything and everything that you see! It won't be long before you feel drawn back to something in particluar.

In the "old days" when all we had was film, when I got a new camera I sat around the house shooting without film so I would get familiar with the equipment and not have to buy film and processing. I still do that with the manual open beside me until I know how to do everything that I usually do, and then add a few knew tricks as I learn how to do those. Since the digital images don't cost anything, just shoot away.

or
Old 06-01-2010   #14
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-L View Post
With a tripod and zoom lens, you will be able to do some nice close-up work. It isn't true macro, but it is a start, and only requires the one lens. You will quickly learn what you like most.

The best way is start shooting anything and everything that you see! It won't be long before you feel drawn back to something in particluar.

In the "old days" when all we had was film, when I got a new camera I sat around the house shooting without film so I would get familiar with the equipment and not have to buy film and processing. I still do that with the manual open beside me until I know how to do everything that I usually do, and then add a few knew tricks as I learn how to do those. Since the digital images don't cost anything, just shoot away.
I know this is a rather tough question seeing as this is a camera for ME, but I am curious... if you were just starting out with a rather low price range (going by everything I said I was interested in) what model of NIKON would you recommend? I know you told me to go look around and see what suits me best, but I'd like your opinion so I can also try your ideas.
H1DDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #15
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1DDEN View Post
I know this is a rather tough question seeing as this is a camera for ME, but I am curious... if you were just starting out with a rather low price range (going by everything I said I was interested in) what model of NIKON would you recommend? I know you told me to go look around and see what suits me best, but I'd like your opinion so I can also try your ideas.
PM Sent.

or
Old 06-01-2010   #16
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 30

Well, friend, it's a never ending quest. I started with Nikon many years ago. Have had 20 or 30 different cameras. Went to Canon then Minolta. When switching to digital I went with sony for lots of reasons. But, you know what, when you get that big dslr that shoots raw, you gotta have the computer that will handle it, then the software, lots of plugins, and hours and hours of playing to learn and get things just so so, and a library of books to figure out how to do things. It's fun but don't make any money until you are really good at it, which takes lots of learning. My depreciation schedule shows about 17,000 worth of camera equipment now. My throw in the car, take to the BD parties, graduations, family, etc. is a NIkon P80 - $370 at costco as I recall. Can't justify maybe breaking the big ones for snapshots. The most difficult areas of learning photography are composition in the viewfinder, being out there when the light is right, KNOWING what the capabilities of the camera in hand are, and, you'd be surprised how a tripod helps make good pictures. Getting good images is just about like deer hunting, except you get to do it all the time. Gotta be in the right place at the right time - then it don't make much difference what kind of camera you have - or how expensive it was.
Old 06-03-2010   #17
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544

No one camera can do everything well. You might even want to rethink the idea of getting a dSLR until you are a bit clearer on what you want it to do. The weaknesses of a dSLR include larger and more expensive equipment, especially when you start collecting more lenses and other accessories. If you get your jollies shooting candids, for example, your intended subject is more likely to notice a dSLR than a smaller camera. Furthermore, they make a lot more (acoustical) noise when you take a picture. Unless the background is particularly noisy, your subject is likely to hear the camera sooner or later.

Also, when you buy a dSLR, you aren't just buying a camera but a camera system. You therefore need to be reasonably sure that the bodies, lenses, and accessories you need will be available when you need them. In your case, you must decide whether you will be going for a full-frame system eventually, as really serious landscape photographers are likely to do. This is important because some lenses, especially wideangles, may fit only dSLRs with APS-C sized imagers and cannot be used with full-frame bodies. The extra resolution of the full-frame body will also tend to show up the optical shortcomings of cheap lenses.

In my case, I got my first dSLR to shoot under conditions of low ambient light. For this, I needed lenses that opened up wider than kit lenses, so I skipped the kit lens altogether in favor of a (third-party) zoom with f/2.8 throughout its range. It sounds as if this isn't necessarily true for you, where a "kit" lens that zooms out to an angle of view equivalent to about 28 mm on a full-frame camera. This would translate to the 14-45 mm or 14-54 mm lens on a four-thirds camera or your typical 17-55 mm "kit" lens on one of the cameras with an APS-C sized imager. To this, a 50 mm f/1.8 or, if you have the money, an f/1.4, will take care of your basic portrait requirements including selective focus.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #18
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1DDEN View Post
Thanks for all of your helpful comments.. I had a few more things.. first what is the difference between CF card and a SD card for the camera?

And maybe this will help narrow it down to what I should get: I love landscape photography as well as portraits of people.
Hey H1dden (Brini),
i joined per your suggestion so you better join dpreview too! We'll get together this weekend and go camera shopping/looking at least. ill get ya setup and squared away. Besides ill be able to correct the salespeople when they are wrong! lol which is astonishingly rather frequent sad face...
NovemberSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #19
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberSun View Post
Hey H1dden (Brini),
i joined per your suggestion so you better join dpreview too! We'll get together this weekend and go camera shopping/looking at least. ill get ya setup and squared away. Besides ill be able to correct the salespeople when they are wrong! lol which is astonishingly rather frequent sad face...

The sales people are idiots usually. I never trust what they say I do my own research.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: