15 Large File Transfer services
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010   #1
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 535
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 15 Large File Transfer services

For your convenience here's an updated list of 15 Large File Transfer services – most FREE! – for when you need to send someone (or a bunch of people) a number of high-resolution/HD image or video files = BIG files. I use some of these services every day:

• WeTransfer.com is FREE for up to 2GB of files or (zipped) folders per transfer.
http://www.wetransfer.com//

• DropSend.com is FREE for up to 2GB of files or (zipped) folders per transfer.
DropSend - Email large files and send large files

• Yousendit.com is FREE upto 1GB/month with max 100MB per transfer.
http://www.yousendit.com/

• Pando.com is FREE upto 1GB of files or folders per transfer.
Download and Share ... BIG | Pando

• Sendspace.com is FREE upto 300MB per transfer.
Free large file hosting. Send big files the easy way!

• Pipebytes.com (beta) is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto 300MB per transfer.
PipeBytes - Free and easy file transfers.

• Youconvertit.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto 1GB per transfer.
Free online media file conversion (Document, Images, Audio, Video & Archives)

• Filedropper.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto 5GB per transfer.
Free File Hosting - Online File Storage for Mp3, Videos, Music. Best File Host

• Transferbigfiles.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto ?MB/GB per transfer (untested).
Transfer Big Files Free - Email or Send Large Files up to 1GB

• Mailbigfile.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto ?MB/GB per transfer (untested).
A quick and easy way to send large files - simply Mail Big File

• zUPLOAD.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto ?MB/GB per transfer (untested).
zupload.com

• MegaUpload.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto ?MB/GB per transfer (untested).
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

• FileApartment.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto 1GB per transfer.

http://www.fileapartment.com

• Streamfile.com is NOT free and allows files up to 30GB to be transferred.

Streamfile - Send. Receive. Now.

• iSendr.com is a FREE and REALTIME direct – computer to computer – superfast (large) file transfer service (no file size limit) without a middleman (server) for extra security.
iSendr - On Demand P2P File Transfers

Old 05-26-2010   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684
Default Re: 15 Large File Transfer services

That depend upon the recipient's ISP allowing them to get large emails, most of them will not. FTP is probably a better way to transfer large files.

A free FTP client is FileZilla - The free FTP solution

You need a web space to upload the files to for your recipient to download them from. Usually, your ISP provides you space for that with your account. At least mine (charter.net) does. If they do not this site lists lots of free web space http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Web_Space/

You can set up the ftp space so they need a password to download the files.
Old 05-27-2010   #3
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
That depend upon the recipient's ISP allowing them to get large emails, most of them will not. FTP is probably a better way to transfer large files.
No, Tom: these web-based Large File Transfer services only send a tiny download link to the recipient's email INbox. These tiny download links can't clog INboxes, and they can't be refused by the receiving ISP because of their size.

Quote:
A free FTP client is FileZilla - The free FTP solution
FTP is sooo 20th century!
No setting up of temp FTP accounts necessary if you use one of these 15 web-based Large File Transfer services and a high-speed internet connection. So much quicker and simpler.

Quote:
You can set up the ftp space so they need a password to download the files.
You can password protect any file you send. No separate setting up of an FTP space neccessary.
Heather24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
these web-based Large File Transfer services only send a tiny download link to the recipient's email INbox.
I didn't know about these services, good to know. Even though I like Filezilla, its too impractical to use if working with a completely un-tech savvy customer like say, my mother. Even Dropbox had her confused. A lot of people still only know how to use email so just sending them a download link is perfect for them.

Thanks Heather.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 11763
Editing OK?: No

Great list of these services Heather! I have used YouSendIt, and now Yahoo mail offers a link to use drop.io for large files.

Nikon D700 Nikkors: 35/f2D, 16-35/f4VR, 28-300VR, 70-300VR.
Feisol CT-1471 Monopod Manfrotto 190CXPro4 Tripod w/496RC2 Ballhead
Gitzo 1325 Mountaineer Tripod w/ReallyRightStuff BH-55 Ballhead
My Website http://kensphotos.weebly.com
or
View My Photos at http://flickr.com/photos/ken-l/collections
Ken-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Hi,

files sent per mail get blown up by 30%-50%.

I send my big files with http://www.click2copy.com

It sends files DIRECTLY to the receiver, i.e. there is no upload to any server. This also means that both parties have to be online.
It sends files with your full upload speed. For very large files this still takes some time, but you can always stop and resume later, which is pretty cool.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Photography Talk »

Share this topic: