Somali Lady - smudge painting
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Photo Illustration & Digital Art

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2019   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 10304381
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Somali Lady - smudge painting

Hope you like

Best wishes

Ray

Old 01-26-2019   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Somali Lady - smudge painting

Nice job. Smooth skin. Not sure about the little "stick" like thing between her nose and upper lip...

Reminds me of a Rick Sammon image....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019   #3
Dromedary

Hi Mr Pickles...

Many thanks...

I have adjusted....hope this is better...it is in fact the little crease between her nose and her mouth but have made it less obvious...

Best wishes Ray

RayGuselli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 227132

WoWzer
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1004893
Editing OK?: Ask first

Very good. What is smudge painting?

Olympus OMD EM-1, EPL1, standard kit lens, 17mm 1.8, 60mm macro, 75-300mm II, 45mm 1.8, Rokinon 7.5mm Fish Eye, lens cap lens, ec-14, Fl-36 flash, adapter, misc accessories.
mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #6
Dromedary

Many thanks to all.....

For Mike...

I have had so many enquiries about my paintings especially from people asking if I can paint something for them and what exactly do I do to get the effect.

So, a little explanation.

ALL OF MY PAINTINGS ARE HAND PAINTED ON THE DIGITAL CANVAS.

What is a digital canvas you might ask?

I use a large graphics tablet and an extra large monitor to paint in great detail on the computer, using Photoshop.

The technique is called "smudge painting" but I have refined this to create images that are extremely detailed but painted: HAND PAINTED. These are NOT the flick of a filter to offer something resembling a painting but individually hand painted using a selection of computerised brushes, layers and opacities, to create something very special, READY TO PRINT TO CANVAS. So the finished article is output to a canvas to hang on the wall etc.

I use a high quality digital image which I work from. I cannot stress enough though that it has to be a good quality image, preferably not a low resolution picture from a phone etc.

The process is then that I create the first layer above the original photograph. I then use whichever is the most appropriate brushes to paint the hair. The colour and detail is then adjusted using adjustment layers etc.

I then paint the hair again on another layer using the multiply mode to create darker strokes and then use another layer to paint on using the screen mode to create light strokes etc.

ALL THE TIME I AM PAINTING DIGITALLY OVER THE ORIGINAL IMAGE FOLLOWING ALL THE DETAILS WITHIN...going into great detail.

I then create another layer and do the same thing for the skin...and so on and so on with every element, eyes, teeth, mouth, clothes etc having a new layer and paint application...each of these layers will then be individually adjusted further.

I can end up with a great many layers in photoshop all of which are hand painted using the digital brushes and graphics tablet and then adjusted further for opacity and colour etc.

The finished item is then flattened LEAVING A PAINTING ABOVE WHAT WAS A PHOTOGRAPH etc.

I hope that might help people understand the technique which is explained in google searches etc.

I have further developed the original concept of smudge painting to what I do which is to create as lifelike a painting as possible retaining detail but clearly a painting when viewed on canvas when printed etc.
I hope this helps explain a little of how I work as I have recently had a lot of emails asking about the technique.
Best wishes Ray

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Photo Illustration & Digital Art »

Share this topic: