Smudge painting - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Photo Illustration & Digital Art

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2015   #11
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 10304381
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Smudge painting

My SINCERE THANKS to all...you know it always means a lot to receive both positive and critical feedback and I am so pleased this one is liked...I really enjoyed doing it.

Paul (Palters)...don't give up...I tried for 18 months nearly every day before it finally fell into place.

There are some fantastic tutorials on the web BUT...if you have a try and get stuck, just message me (rayguselli@outlook.com) and I will always try to help.

Best wishes and thank you all again,

Ray
RayGuselli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015   #12
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

Like others, I think this is extremely well done. I especially like the way the background is integrated with the overall design of the portrait. However, I would like to add several thoughts by way of constructive criticism that would make a fine work even better:
1) The detail given to the skin folds in her neck is distracting. This would have been better if these folds had been minimized and softened.
2) The brightest area on her face is the highlight on her outer cheek near her left ear. This places the rest of her face in a darker range of tonality, especially the area beneath her left eye. This dark under her eye almost gives the illusion of slight sadness or fatigue. This could be changed by softly muting the highlight on her cheek and raising the brightness value under her eye.
3) The far eye (right eye) is partially "hanging", that is to say, the eye is not contained by at least a small amount of skin, but part of the eye ball itself is "touching" the background. This is considered a flaw in the pose itself--if her face had been turned the slightest bit more towards the viewer, then a slender line of flesh would have fully contained the outer part of the far eye and given it more separation from the background. At the same time, this would have also corrected another slight flaw in the pose, which is that her pupils are pulled too much to the corners and so too much of the white of her eyes is showing.
But all in all, this is a very fine effort--keep creating!
19Thomas56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015   #13
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 10304381
Editing OK?: No

Hi 19Thomas56

Many thanks for your very constructive and helpful feedback....much appreciated.

I went back to make the adjustments you suggest BUT....had a period of not saving the PSD files and the ones I have have the texture etc and are more difficult to deal with etc.

However, in future I will endeavour to make sure I keep the PSD file which would have allowed easier adjustment of the areas you recommend.

I did not take the original shot so the pose etc and lighting is something I had to work with BUT, for future reference is something I will watch closely.

Thanks again for your help...it is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Ray
RayGuselli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 42
Editing OK?: Yes

A beautiful painting

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Photo Illustration & Digital Art »

Share this topic: