Suggestions on lighting a black dog?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Pets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 17
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Suggestions on lighting a black dog?

I'd love some tips on how to best light a black dog. My fawn pug is easy, but my black pug mix is really hard to get a good shot of. Everything seems to look flat on him. Technically, he's not truly black-- he's a dark brindle-- if that makes a difference in lighting.

Old 01-17-2009   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2798
Default Re: Suggestions on lighting a black dog?

My last dog were black. The only times I managed to get good photos of him were when I were able to use the largest softlighter in the world, an overcast sky.
Even then I had to be careful of what surroundings I shoot him in, The best photo I ever got of him were with him posing on a grey concrete slab in front of a white wall on a bright but overcast day.

Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures of them.
Old 01-17-2009   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465
Editing OK?: Ask First

I read somewhere, maybe Pop Photo, that to photograph a black animal to use a flash. Unless your dog will sit still long enough to light him with a studio strobe, you may have to use an on-camera flash.
Old 01-17-2009   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 934468

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerSnap View Post
I'd love some tips on how to best light a black dog. My fawn pug is easy, but my black pug mix is really hard to get a good shot of. Everything seems to look flat on him. Technically, he's not truly black-- he's a dark brindle-- if that makes a difference in lighting.
I just got done lighting a black dog....the difficulty I had was keeping him separated from the black background. I used two softboxes, a large and a medium turned sideways to try to cover him from head to tail. I was pleased with the results, except for the fact that I had my iso set to 1600 from taking pictures at a low-light, no flash wedding...

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/696...y-sitting.html

Do you consider yourself to be a good person?www.goodpersontest.com
Mikkic is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Pets »

Share this topic: