PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Pets (https://photocamel.com/forum/pets/)
-   -   Mama Kitty (https://photocamel.com/forum/pets/205201-mama-kitty.html)

SilverPoet 09-10-2014 12:21 AM

Mama Kitty

I couldn't have been happier with this one. :) My Dad's barn cat, the Mama Kitty. She used to be an indoor cat, so she's pretty tame with people - but is hard as nails and also raises litters each Spring in the great outdoors.

CC always welcome.

http://photocamel.com/gallery/data/8...tedwebwtag.jpg

vegashot 09-10-2014 10:33 AM

Re: Mama Kitty

very cute, like it

whaas2 10-05-2014 11:24 PM

Good sharp image. :afro:

splitload 10-07-2014 08:33 AM

Lovely animal, I hate to put a damper on the subject but she needs to be fixed, there are too many unwanted kittens around.

SilverPoet 10-07-2014 05:20 PM

Yeah, I hear you, and I don't disagree. She's a barn cat, and doesn't come indoors though, she's not considered necessarily a pet in the same fashion as a typical pet. His male indoor cat is absolutely fixed. It would cost a fortune to catch and fix all the females that roam on his and the neighboring farms, and most are not people friendly. Mother Nature takes care of some to most of the population control - I don't say that to be cruel at all, it's just how it works out there. In farm country it's a bit of a different perspective, I guess, the outdoor bunch aren't considered pets, but wild animals really, and fend for themselves entirely.

She's still pretty friendly, which is a rare exception - and only because she once lived indoors vs out, which makes her even more of an anomaly.

splitload 10-07-2014 07:25 PM

I understand that a bunch of farm cats would be expensive to fix, I mistakenly thought she was the only one you had. In your environment I can see where mother nature takes care of the situation. I help at an animal shelter and that is where I see hundreds of kittens put to sleep each year because they are unwanted.

PeteD 10-07-2014 08:28 PM

Very nice shot

camillia 10-16-2014 09:34 AM

She is very pretty. She looks like one I used to have. They each have their own personality, don't they? But if she were mine, she would be fixed. When I moved onto my farm, there was a momma barn cat. In 3 years, we had 28 cats coming to eat from my outdoor pet dish....I brought 3 outside cats with me. I know she was not a "pet" but I soon caught her and had her fixed. I talked to the local humane society, and they had a program that they would fix the cats, but had to return them to their place of origin...that was fine as long as they would not have more kittens. Over the years the numbers went down, due to age and/or illness. Each year, feral or not, I would try to catch those that needed rabies shots. Gets expensive, but I don't want rabies in any of the cats on my farm. Every now and then a stray comes and stays ( I have a feeling some very not nice people dump cats.....grrrr) There is a local lady now that for $40 each, will take as many cats (feral or domestic) as she has room for in her van to a veterinary hospital in Philadelphia, they spay/neuter and give a rabies shot. Every once in a while that $$ is not bad. So that is how I solved a bad feral cat problem at my house. I agree, there are way too many cats in the world, and not enough responsible owners. But feral or not, I felt some control over the situation was necessary.
"the outdoor bunch aren't considered pets, but wild animals really, and fend for themselves entirely"
These feral outdoor cats have become a huge problem in some areas near me, if nature does not/cannot naturally control the numbers......they spread rabies, raid trash cans, kill chickens and ducks, fight with domestic cats and dogs....etc. :(
Sorry, just shared my experiences, not intended as a lecture, but comes across that way, sorry.

SilverPoet 10-16-2014 10:09 AM

No problem, thanks for sharing! They absolutely all have their own personality! It's really fascinating. This really isn't a debate about how to handle the situation though, nor was that feedback sought in that capacity, photography forum and all - if I knew it was going to spark off topic opinions I'd have simply titled the photograph differently - if you'd like to try to talk my Dad into it, with his limited funds and fixed income, you're welcome to do so. Have fun with that, it's like pushing a mountain and about as effective. Again, this cat isn't in or at my home or property.

Thanks to those that commented on the photograph! I was pleased with the sharpness and DOF. Love my little 60mm macro. :)

camillia 10-16-2014 11:39 AM

No, I'm sorry, it's not a debate, I just got to thinking of the huge problem I had with feral cats and how I solved it with the help of the humane society. I'm sorry. Your kitty is well shot, sharp eyes, love the whiskers and great bokeh!