Any love for the Pentax K10D ? - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009   #31
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Any love for the Pentax K10D ?

I liked my K10D better than my K20D. I think the image was better with the K10D.
hitechrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #32
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4462

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechrr View Post
I liked my K10D better than my K20D. I think the image was better with the K10D.
I would from experience say, that the K10 produces great images - but so does the K20, with less noise at higher ISO settings thrown in. I am using both cameras and I am hard pressed to see any difference at ISO 100, apart from a tiny bit more noise in the shadows from the K10.

BUT what I noticed is, that some lenses, which were useful on the K10 are complete rubbish on the K20. For example the Sigma 24-135/2.8-4.5 is a nice "walk-around" lens, which gives good results at f/8 and f/11- on the K10. But on the K20 the contrast is so low, that the images are unusable, even at the best apertures.

So may be, your experience reflects the limits of certain lenses?

Ben
Ben_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #33
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

my faverate is the FA35 f/2 and the da 18-250. I had pentax service the 18-250 and it is now very tight. The DA 50--200 iI have never used. I bought it for my daughter and she likes the F 35-70, so he never used it. I will be putting that on ebay. MY f 70-210 work very well.

K100D SUPER
k20D body
Da* 50-135MM f2.8
DA 18-250MM
DA 50-200
Fa 50 /F1.4
Fa 35 /F2.0
A 50mm f1.7 sold
A 50MM F2.0 sold
F 35-70
F 35-105mm sold
F 70-210
sigma 400 MF
TOKINA 2X Teleconverter
pro camron 1.4X Tele
Promaster 7 1.7X TELE
SIGMA 24-60 EX F2.8
AF400FTZ
AF360FGZ
(2) SF1n
PZ-70
hitechrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009   #34
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4462

hitechrr, you have some pretty good lenses in your list - so these should not be the quality limiting factor - but neither is a K20With digital there are so many factors, which influence image quality, that there are many possible routes to follow:
– are you shooting JPG or RAW?
– if JPG - what are the settings (colour, sharpness, contrast; Jpg quality etc.)
- if RAW, the quality is widely dependend on the post-processing settings
- do you use any filters on the lenses regularily?

I guess, you know all that yourself - sometimes it just helps, to have an outsider looking at a problem.

Ben
Ben_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #35
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 3200
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spystyle View Post
Yeah what is up with the *ist name? What does it even mean? How is it pronounced?

Star first ? Astrix-ist ? Start-ist ? Astrix first ?

It's groove was obviously lost in translation from Japanese to "EngRish"

Anyway, I have decided to try a Pentax K100D I'll see if it handles the M42 glass better than the Canon does (for metering and focus confirmation) and I'll try this "in body stabilization"

This will give me a better range of stabilization than the competition has, for example - if I was to buy Nikon new $200 35/1.8 AF-S lens, it does not have stabilization even though my other AF-S lenses do... With the Pentax any lens you attach has stabilization How about an inexpensive 28/2.8 ? It's got stabilization How about an inexpensive 300/4.5 ? 50/1.4 or 50/1.8 ? 100/2.8 ? 200/3.5 ? They've all got stabilization And they are all fast and inexpensive.

We'll see how it works. "On paper" it's stunning, we'll see how it compares in my tests

Have fun!
Craig
Yikes, I had a K100D and sent it back! The penta-mirror viewfinder is too dim and small for manual focus lenses.

I swapped it for a Pentax *ist DS (pronounced Pentax issed DS, or just "DS" for short)

The "DS" has a bright glass Penta-Prism that should work well for manual focus lenses

We'll see when it gets here

Cheers,
Craig
spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009   #36
Former Camel

Alright I did it !

I swapped the K100D for a *ist DS

I really like it

While it's viewfinder is not as big as the original K1000 film camera, it is about as bright. I have an easy time using manual focus lenses with this camera.

I also ordered a split prism focus screen for it just like the K1000 has, it should be really sweet for manual focus lenses once I get that installed

Hooray for Pentax!
Old 09-02-2009   #37
Former Camel

Alright, I've got it all together now

Pentax *ist DS + Pentax-a 50/2 +Jinfinance split image focus screen = digital K1000 kinda

Manual focus is nice with this camera as it has a Penta-Prism (as opposed to a Penta-Mirror)

Here is a pic through the viewfinder, though it's not a very good pic I bet you'll get the idea

Install guides are here
Old 10-02-2009   #38
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 22
Editing OK?: Ask first

The Ds is a nice camera, I just joined today so missed most of this thread. Had I jumped in earlier, I would have suggested the *istD instead. It's basically a K10D Jr. with the dual thumb wheels and a similar layout. But these are old cameras and the K10D is a much better unit in a number of ways. Faster for one thing. One area that Pentax is not king is high ISO's. They are pretty good but not quite as good as some others. It's partly in the metering systems. I have a couple of second shooters that do weddings with me and one shoots Canon, the other shoots Nikon.

The Canon overexposes in normal light IMO and the camera is set that way I think to give better high ISO images. The Nikon is more in the middle and does almost as well at High ISO's. The Pentax metering leans toward slight underexposure to preserve highlights in normal shooting light. They are more of a landscape/people/portrait brand than a high ISO style camera. So in dark situations, add 1/2 to 1 Ev comp and you'll get good results.

Surprised you went with the smaller models and not a K10D. They are cheap these days.
Peter Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #39
Former Camel

I had my eye on the K10D but it was $150 more than the DS. Since the DS is my secondary camera I didn't feel I needed the big guns.

Have fun
Craig
Old 01-13-2010   #40
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196

moved here from the other slr forum

Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax »

Share this topic: