Any love for the Pentax K10D ? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009   #21
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1590
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Any love for the Pentax K10D ?

My k10D is the second Pentax digital SLR that I've owned. Bought the *ist when it first came out, so that I could use 20 years of Pentax glass from my pre-digital days. I loved the *ist, except for the stupid name -- which Pentax fixed when they upgraded to the k10D. I like the k10D even better.

The only problem with Pentax is that they tend to lag about six months or so behind Nikon and/or Canon when upgrading to the newest "gee-whiz" gizmos on the next camera.

Me -- I can wait six months for the next camera, if it means that I save $$thousands$$ by getting to keep using all my glass.
foto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #22
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 3200
Editing OK?: Yes

Yeah what is up with the *ist name? What does it even mean? How is it pronounced?

Star first ? Astrix-ist ? Start-ist ? Astrix first ?

It's groove was obviously lost in translation from Japanese to "EngRish"

Anyway, I have decided to try a Pentax K100D I'll see if it handles the M42 glass better than the Canon does (for metering and focus confirmation) and I'll try this "in body stabilization"

This will give me a better range of stabilization than the competition has, for example - if I was to buy Nikon new $200 35/1.8 AF-S lens, it does not have stabilization even though my other AF-S lenses do... With the Pentax any lens you attach has stabilization How about an inexpensive 28/2.8 ? It's got stabilization How about an inexpensive 300/4.5 ? 50/1.4 or 50/1.8 ? 100/2.8 ? 200/3.5 ? They've all got stabilization And they are all fast and inexpensive.

We'll see how it works. "On paper" it's stunning, we'll see how it compares in my tests

Have fun!
Craig
spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #23
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4462

Quote:
Originally Posted by spystyle View Post
We'll see how it works. "On paper" it's stunning, we'll see how it compares in my tests
In my practical experience the SR gives me on average 2 f-stops latitude - and if I am really careful even 3 f-stops. That's not quite what marketing claims, but good enough for me. I more often run now into subjects which show motion blurr...

Ben
Ben_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #24
Former Camel

Motion blur?

I've found that with a 50mm lens 1/45 shutter speed is good for "say cheese" and 1/60 is good for "candid" (like walking and moving normal, not like running)

"Shake reduction" only helps with "say cheese" - it does not "freeze motion"

With my Nikon "vibration reduction" lens at 18/3.5 I can take a "say cheese" photo at 1/15 shutter speed, hand held.

If you want to trump motion blur - use "shutter priority mode" and "auto ISO" and "SR" and, if possible, a fast lens - like 3.5, 2.8,1.8,1.4 ...

Shutter speed is what freezes motion. I think 1/60 for candid and 1/100 for action. But there is a trick, when using a lens longer than 50mm you have to increase shutter speed to counter "hand shake" - so if you didn't have "SR" you'd probably want 1/180 when using a 200/3.5 lens - it's close to 1/1 (1 speed per 1 focal length) - I think that's equal to 1/60 with a 50/1.8 lens (in performance)

Oh all this math! I've confused myself.

Anyway, if it's 1/1 for minimum shutter speed with hand held telephoto (for example 1/100 for a 100mm lens) and that speed is beyond 1/60 (which is all we need to freeze "candid" movement) the addition of "SR" should allow slower shutter speeds since the increase was solely to counter "hand shake" but the "SR" will counter that for us, a couple stops. So I think you can now use 1/60 with a 100mm lens and a 135mm lens...

Yes, "vibration reduction (SR)" and "auto ISO" really can change the way we shoot. But shutter speed is the same today as it was in 1970 : 1/60 to freeze candid motion.

This is all my speculation though, I was not yet born in 1970 But I have old photography instruction books

Cheers,
Craig
Old 03-17-2009   #25
Vicuna

As far as the stupid name - *ist - Pentax intended for it to be pronounced "Star-ist." Some genius decided that it was an "all things" camera and that the asterisk used as a wildcard in Boolean computer searches would make a great name for it.

I'm guessing that the guy was on the technical side, and they forgot to consult with marketing ...
Old 03-17-2009   #26
Former Camel

It's true, "Astrix" is a wild card to us tech guys ..

..what a miserable bunch we are, locked in our caves fixing computers all day..

Oh did I say that out loud?

Um, anyway, I did not think "wild card" when I saw that name even though I've been fixing these rebellious boxes for a decade.

*ist .. I tell ya it must sound better in Japaneses than it does in EngRish

But I'm buying a K100D so it's not my problem
Old 03-17-2009   #27
Vicuna

I still carry the *ist as an extra body. I just try not to let anyone see the name stenciled on it ...
Old 03-17-2009   #28
Former Camel

Sharpie makes a nice black permanent marker that could possibly correct that
Old 03-17-2009   #29
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4462

Quote:
Originally Posted by spystyle View Post
Motion blur?

I've found that with a 50mm lens 1/45 shutter speed is good for "say cheese" and 1/60 is good for "candid" (like walking and moving normal, not like running)

"Shake reduction" only helps with "say cheese" - it does not "freeze motion...
Craig, I know that ofcourse. What I wanted to imlpy is, that I can handhold (thanks to SR) now shutter speeds which are anyway too long to get a sharp picture, as now motion blur is the dominant factor and not camerra shake anymore. My post was just too short, I guess...

Ben
Ben_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #30
Former Camel

Aha, I see, well it's good for me to practice my math in the forum anyway

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax »

Share this topic: