Lens for Pentax k10D??
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lens for Pentax k10D??

Hello! I just purchased my first DSLR, Pentax k10D. I am very excited! I didn't get the kits lens because I wasn't sure if I would need it. The guy at Ritz sold me a Quantaray 28-90 1:3.5-5.6. When I got home I researched this lens and it got horrible reviews. I don't really know anything about lenses. I am so new to this. What does the 3.5-5.6 mean? For my prime, I am going to buy a 50mm 1.4, which came highly recommended. I feel I need a zoom because I want to take pictures of my daughter when she does ballet classes and performances, soccer and swim. I bought a DSLR because I felt I wasn't getting the pictures I wanted (or as I quick as I wanted) from my point and shoot. I plan to take pictures of my children and perhaps one day turn this love into a business. I love taking pictures of them outside; portraiture shots. Of course my daughter has a recital this weekend and I would love to use my new camera if I can find the right lens. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Old 12-14-2007   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 52
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Lens for Pentax k10D??

Hi!

I've got a Tamron 28-300 XR DI 3.5-6.3 on my Pentax IST that I really like.
It seems to be a well built lens and I really haven't had any complaints with it so far. I don't know much about the quality of the current Quantaray lenses, but I do still have the 70-200mm Quantaray I bought about 30 yrs. ago for my Pentax ME. Both the camera and lens are still working great after countless rolls of film and so many years.

The 3.5-5.6 refers to the maximum aperture opening of the lens at a given focal length. In the case of your lens 3.5 at 28mm to 5.6 at 90mm.

Jim S
Catmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 16836
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Lens for Pentax k10D??

Hi

I know nothing about the lens you bought.

There are several lenses I could recommend you:
- Pentax DA16-45/4
- Sigma 17-70/2.8-4

I have a few sample shots with different lenses under Collection: Lenses

International Press Association
http://ipaimpress.com/author/dominique/

Pentax: K-3, 645Z
Nikon: D4, D4s

http://www.ByDoms.dom
tcom is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax »

Share this topic: