Pentax "F" series lenses.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 750031
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Pentax "F" series lenses.

I'm just curious. Have any of you had any experience with the Pentax "F" series lenses?

I have the F 50mm f:1.4, the F 35-70mm, the F 35-105mm, the F 35-135mm and the F 70-210mm lenses and every single one of them produce exceptional images, especially the 50mm, the 35-70mm and the 70-210mm.

The sharpness and color rendition rivals lenses costing many, many times more than what they are listed for on eBay.

I had a F 100mm f:2.8 macro 1:1 lens, but I sold it this afternoon. I have a FA 100mm f:2.8 macro and couldn't justify keeping both and a friend of mine almost twisted my arm off trying to convince me to sell it to him!

I really like the bokeh the 35-70mm produces. Very smooth and creamy. It's a very nice walk-around lens on my neighborhood walks. It's almost too sharp for portraiture!

Old 02-07-2017   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 226472
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Pentax "F" series lenses.

Stunning! Id have to look at my K110D to see what kit lens it came with, never paid much attention to that.

My albums at photocamel:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/u69945-shutterklick.html
ShutterKlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 596039

the F series pentax lenses are autofocus lenses that came during the late film era prior to pentax going into digital (i think this is the 1st AF lenses in the pentax lineup). i have the 35-70 zoom which is almost fitted to the k7 full time. these are screw driven, very small lenses.

there is another series of pentax lenses, the FA lenses which are predominantly metal and better built quality and above this is the FA* lenses built for professionals.

when digital came, pentax updated the lens series to D FA (made for digital) and to now the present DA lenses. DA lenses are sub categorized into DA, DA* and the DA limited edition lenses.

personally i prefer the F and FA lenses over the DA designed lenses.

below is the F series 35-70 on the K7
post whatever is in your mind no matter how unbearable it is to others, no matter if they are in authority, or a forum bully or simply a sour troll. In the end you can't please everyone and may annoy some but that is what a forum should be, an open discussion complete with trolls all over.
moodless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017   #4
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodless View Post
the F series pentax lenses are autofocus lenses that came during the late film era prior to pentax going into digital (i think this is the 1st AF lenses in the pentax lineup). i have the 35-70 zoom which is almost fitted to the k7 full time. these are screw driven, very small lenses.

there is another series of pentax lenses, the FA lenses which are predominantly metal and better built quality and above this is the FA* lenses built for professionals.

when digital came, pentax updated the lens series to D FA (made for digital) and to now the present DA lenses. DA lenses are sub categorized into DA, DA* and the DA limited edition lenses.

personally i prefer the F and FA lenses over the DA designed lenses.

below is the F series 35-70 on the K7
Yep, this is the same lens I have. A remarkable little lens. The F 70-210mm lens is also a real keeper. The auto focus is rather violent, but oh so sharp!

The FA series lenses are also some real gems and becoming somewhat hard to find. I have the FA 50mm f:2.8 Macro and the FA 100mm f:2.8 Macro and both are nothing short of magnificent in their sharpness and color rendition! As you say, all metal and quite solid.

How do you like your K-7? Currently, I have an older K-x, a K-30 and a K-50. I love all three models, and have considered buying the newer K-3, but physical limitations have curtailed a lot of my photographic safaris, so I'm not sure the investment would be worthwhile. I still get out, take road trips on the weekends to places unknown every so often, but I can't get too far from my car. But, it still hasn't dimmed my love of photography! Fifty + years and counting! From the steamy jungles of Vietnam to the frigid highlands of Idaho!

I'll just mention in passing, that I have a FA 50mm Macro for sale in the Market Place here on PC in case you might be interested. It's a duplicate that came in a package of lenses I bought a couple of months ago. Super clean.
Old 02-09-2017   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 596039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
Yep, this is the same lens I have. A remarkable little lens. The F 70-210mm lens is also a real keeper. The auto focus is rather violent, but oh so sharp!

The FA series lenses are also some real gems and becoming somewhat hard to find. I have the FA 50mm f:2.8 Macro and the FA 100mm f:2.8 Macro and both are nothing short of magnificent in their sharpness and color rendition! As you say, all metal and quite solid.

How do you like your K-7? Currently, I have an older K-x, a K-30 and a K-50. I love all three models, and have considered buying the newer K-3, but physical limitations have curtailed a lot of my photographic safaris, so I'm not sure the investment would be worthwhile. I still get out, take road trips on the weekends to places unknown every so often, but I can't get too far from my car. But, it still hasn't dimmed my love of photography! Fifty + years and counting! From the steamy jungles of Vietnam to the frigid highlands of Idaho!

I'll just mention in passing, that I have a FA 50mm Macro for sale in the Market Place here on PC in case you might be interested. It's a duplicate that came in a package of lenses I bought a couple of months ago. Super clean.
The K7 is built like a tank, heavy and rugged, it's the only truly weathersealed body that i own and it has endured a few heavy rain and cleaning under running water. it has been with me for about 5 years now. wanted to open it up just for me to fix the slightly misaligned sensor and the faulty front dial below the shutter button but i dont want to ruin the weathersealing..

as for the pentax FA lenses, i only have the silver body FA 28-80 that came together with a silver pentax SLR mz-60 together with a silver colored cosina 100-300.. i never had the chance to ever use that set.

currently i have no interest in acquiring another 50mm prime since i have already a sony 50 1.8, a minolta 50 1.7 and a bunch of manual 50mm 1.4s and 1.8s (1x MD, 4x M42 mount, 2x k-mounts and 1 CY mount) that i use on the sony A7. currently there are no available e-mount or FE mount adapters that can autofocus AF enabled K-mount lenses. Fon now i am only considering getting Minolta AF lenses to complete my collection and a few Takumar primes.
post whatever is in your mind no matter how unbearable it is to others, no matter if they are in authority, or a forum bully or simply a sour troll. In the end you can't please everyone and may annoy some but that is what a forum should be, an open discussion complete with trolls all over.
moodless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017   #6
Guanaco

I happened to be browsing through a flash drive with some images from last year and came across a shot taken with the SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm lens that demonstrates it's unique sharpness. The first is a full-frame shot, the other is a 1:1 enlargement. For an older, cheap lens, I thought it did remarkably well.

It was taken using a Pentax K-30 (16.2 MP). ISO 800, 1/3,200th @ f:8

The float plane in the photo was literally just a speck in the sky, but just for S&G's, I thought I'd give it a try. When I downloaded it, I was amazed at the sharpness. The original full-frame image was 4,928 x 3,264 pixels. The cropped image was only 483 x 259 pixels.... so I think that gives a very good idea of just how sharp some of these old lenses can be.

File Type: jpg IMGP1394 pp 1 - 1 ratio.jpg (321.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1407 pp.jpg (37.7 KB, 13 views)

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax »

Share this topic: