Am I missing something?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 750031
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Am I missing something?

I read a post on another photo site and it was about a new auto focusing system Pentax has.... something to do with a "pulse motor." It seems that the "big advantage" is that it fill auto focus ONE SECOND faster than the previous system.

Now, I'll admit, I'm definitely NOT the sharpest tool in the shed, but when I begin to worry about ONE SECOND difference in the focusing time of my lens/camera, then it's time I switch to another hobby!

Personally, I find this absolutely ridiculous! The cost is astronomical compared to the previous system.... and all for ONE SECOND?

Please.... tell me I don't need to throw all my current lenses and camera bodies in the trash heap so I can mortgage my house and buy this new, whizz-bang, super-blindingly-fast focusing system!

It's funny. This scenario plays itself out in just about every "hobby" that comes down the pike. I'm an avid shooter, mostly targets.... and long range. The farther away, the better. But, all it takes is for one firearms manufacturer or ammo maker to "invent" a new caliber or cartridge and everyone thinks that they've just GOT TO HAVE it! All for the sake of 10 feet per second difference or some such nonsense! Case in point: Ruger's .204. Holy Moses.... you would have thought that Ruger invented the wheel! The "advantage" it offers is so minuscule that it's not worth even discussing, but to hear some rave about it, it's like toilet paper compared to corn cobs!

O.K., I'm through with my rant.... and will quietly climb down off my soap box and go about my business beforehand.

Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 92951
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Am I missing something?

Glad to see I'm not alone! You can see this with just about anything being marketed. Computers, smart phones, cell service, ad infinitum.. Has your car got the latest whiz-bang to keep it under control? Or dual 10" networked displays in the back seat so your kids can drive you to distraction?

There's always a market for the technophiles... -those folks who seem to thrive and survive on the magic of new/improved/bigger/better/faster/shinier.... It gives the folks on Madison Ave something to do while feeding the 'planned obsolesence' business model.

I try to take it all with a grain of salt and remind myself that I can remember things like party line phone systems... needing an operator to call long distance... or when an automatic transmission was 'extra'...

Who's next on the soapbox?

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer!
LibertyHeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 750031
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHeir View Post
Glad to see I'm not alone! You can see this with just about anything being marketed. Computers, smart phones, cell service, ad infinitum.. Has your car got the latest whiz-bang to keep it under control? Or dual 10" networked displays in the back seat so your kids can drive you to distraction?

There's always a market for the technophiles... -those folks who seem to thrive and survive on the magic of new/improved/bigger/better/faster/shinier.... It gives the folks on Madison Ave something to do while feeding the 'planned obsolesence' business model.

I try to take it all with a grain of salt and remind myself that I can remember things like party line phone systems... needing an operator to call long distance... or when an automatic transmission was 'extra'...

Who's next on the soapbox?
Whew.... I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this train of thought! When I'm such a hurry that I can't wait two seconds for my lens to auto focus, then life is going way, way too fast for me and it's time to get off the merry-go-'round!
Old 12-17-2016   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 115763
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes

Well, if you are taking pictures of landscapes or flowers, you are correct. But if you are trying to capture birds, then speed is a priority. And Pentax (I know from first-hand experience) has been behind the curve with auto-focusing.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax »

Share this topic: