I'm Looking for an Easy Light Camera for Travel
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I'm Looking for an Easy Light Camera for Travel

I would like to buy a camera for use while traveling. One that is easy to use, light, that will shoot RAW, have tele-zoom lens, a reasonable sensor size, and at a reasonable price.

What I am not sure about is the importance of pixels, resolution, type of screen (articulated, tilting or not?), point and shoot or mirror-less.

I already have a good quality Canon EOS camera and lenses but they are too heavy for travelling. Am I better to remain within the Canon family?

All information and/or make/model recommendations would be appreciated.

Amnon

Old 05-20-2014   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196
Editing OK?: Ask First
Talking Re: I'm Looking for an Easy Light Camera for Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnon View Post
I would like to buy a camera for use while traveling. One that is easy to use, light, that will shoot RAW, have tele-zoom lens, a reasonable sensor size, and at a reasonable price.

What I am not sure about is the importance of pixels, resolution, type of screen (articulated, tilting or not?), point and shoot or mirror-less.

I already have a good quality Canon EOS camera and lenses but they are too heavy for travelling. Am I better to remain within the Canon family?

All information and/or make/model recommendations would be appreciated.

Amnon
well first welcome to the Dark side (just Kidding) , well Pentax has some cool models that are light and offer the option of changing lenses .

i can best refer to the Pentax website for more information on all models that exsist
recently i jumped on the plane of mirrorless photography with a sony nex 3 because i could buy one real cheap

if mirror less or system camera's are the right thing for you you can really achieve dslr qualty form a camera of poctable size ..

Digital Cameras by RICOH Imaging - Waterproof Digital Camera - Digital SLR

Digital Cameras by RICOH IMAGING

if there are canon to Pentax adapters availeable i don not know but you could ask Ricoh (that is the mother company of Pentax) to investigate it and mail you the results of a store near by in your contry where you could optain such products and try them out to see if they work
Old 06-04-2014   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 596039
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: I'm Looking for an Easy Light Camera for Travel

well pentax has the smallest mirrorless camera in the form of the Pentax Q. it however has a very small sensor size. i would like to point it out however that even with this small sensor, it can produce superb image.. (its a sony sensor btw)..

here is a link of one user review:
pentax q a real world user review

the original Pentax Q is already a few years old and is already superceded by 2 newer models, the pentax Q10 and the newer pentax Q7..

i have the pentax Q body purchased as a used item for a few months now and using it with my pentax k-mount lenses and sony A-mount lenses via adapter as i dont have a native Q lens.. i like the original Q over the Q10 and Q7 mainly because the body is made to last (magnesium alloy as compared to plastic on newer models)
post whatever is in your mind no matter how unbearable it is to others, no matter if they are in authority, or a forum bully or simply a sour troll. In the end you can't please everyone and may annoy some but that is what a forum should be, an open discussion complete with trolls all over.
moodless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 49348
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: I'm Looking for an Easy Light Camera for Travel

I bought a Sony Next 5T for just that purpose. It offers interchangeable lenses and is relatively light. It has 16 MP and offers a lot of control over one's shots, including shooting in RAW. I have found it to be good for my purposes--small, lightweight, nice photos, unobtrusive, and, offers me control over how I shoot. The only negative for me is that it offers a viewfinder as an option and I much prefer that over a live view. But, I am getting used to it. The live view does offer one advantage--most people will think you have a point and shoot and not be offended at having a picture taken.

There are many other cameras out there that one can find at great prices from Sony, Pentax, Olympus, and others.

Good luck.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax »

Share this topic: