Pentax K-10 going to K-7
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 400158
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Pentax K-10 going to K-7

what can I expect in the way of improvement's in the way of noise and shake containment and is the processor a little bet in it :
thanks a lot, If i could go to the K-5 i would not be asking this question

Old 12-03-2011   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 297
Default Re: Pentax K-10 going to K-7

Here is a comparison of k10, k7, k5 just for grins:Pentax Cameras | Pentax K10D vs. Pentax K-7 vs. Pentax K-5 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Here are reviews:Digital SLRs - Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews - DSLR, Digital, and Legacy Cameras

I don't have a k7 but have read of some issues: shutter blur @ 80-160'ish speeds and mediocre high ISO perfomance.

A discussion about K10: Is the K-10 still a good camera or is it outdated? - PentaxForums.com

FWIW the K5 sold for $999 Cyber Monday and I expect it to sell around that price in the not-to-distant future.
I bought a Kr a year ago for the ISO performance and it absolutely blows the K10 away in that regard. I will never part with my K10 but hope to sell the Kr and get a K-5. Just can't beat the dual e-dials and LCDs and the control layout of the top-tiers bodies from Pentax including the K7.
bogiesbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes

I'm not sure what your budget is, Lauren but I am seeing the K5 for under $1,000 around here this is a big drop from the $1,500 / $1,600 price when it first came out. The K5 has the same awesome Sony sensor as the Nikon D7000.

I have a K7 and have not experienced the shutter blur mentioned. There are reports of higher than usual noise at ISO over 1600. I have not noticed this to be a big problem I don't think most people shoot at ISO 1600 or even ISO 800.
Old 12-04-2011   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196

Lauren , a new camera is nice but here a a few questions that dig into the bone or the 10.000.000.000 $ question of why we get fooled by the industry..

- have you used all the k10d can do ?
- do you believe that more mp will give a better photo?
- are you shure that it ain't you that might be the limiting factor
- isn't is so that wanting a newer camera to impress others is the thing you are after

my answers:
by no means have i used all that the k10D can do.

More mp is only more , pixels are cramped higher into each other on the same size of sensor , meaning more noise and changes of unwanted errors due to interference

More mp will mean you have to have more disk space and a higher resolution monitor to be able to see your pictures in 100% the size will be higher thus loading times are slower meaning have to by a faster pc to keep up with the camera

YES i say it loud i am the limiting factor (have been it all my life) i use my camera and i like it but i believe that the k10d is still a awesome machine with better glass it will be very hard to find a better performing more bang for the buck camera

wants are nice for my cold hands in the winter (small language gag) but seriously i think you should look out for better glass and i think that with better glass your picture will grow in quality higher than with a k5 or k12 or so.

cheers dirk
Old 12-04-2011   #5
Camel Breath

You are quite right on the MP issue, Dirk. I still find the image quality on my 6 mp IST DS to be vastly superior to any of my 12 and 14 MP point & shoot cameras.
Old 12-04-2011   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 400158

The K-10 has already been to the repair shop once al ready just contemplating the future that's all:
seawolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I had the k10 and I have the K20 and K7 now. I would keep the K10 until you can buy the K5. I am sorry I sold the K10. I like the photos from the sony sensor better than the samsung sensor. I am thinking of selling the K20 for the K5 now.
hitechrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
You are quite right on the MP issue, Dirk. I still find the image quality on my 6 mp IST DS to be vastly superior to any of my 12 and 14 MP point & shoot cameras.
yeah wolf but do not forget that most sensors of a compact camera a smaller than a nail of your wife's pink ! imagine 14mp cramped in to that space .. no wonder that a dslr has better IQ than a compact.

It does not mean that compact generally s*ck but most of them are only good for a wife 's purse .. 'nice for snaps but no good in bad light or under extreme conditions

Last winter my Canon G9 survived -10 degrees celsius in the snow . i have some pis in the flickr page of mine go to sets and choose winter in holland ..
Old 12-05-2011   #9
Camel Breath

Agreed, Dirk. I carry my Panasonic P&S with me everywhere as I believe the best camera is the one you have with you when an interesting shot presents itself.
Old 12-05-2011   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
I have a K7 and have not experienced the shutter blur mentioned. There are reports of higher than usual noise at ISO over 1600. I have not noticed this to be a big problem I don't think most people shoot at ISO 1600 or even ISO 800.
Not to argue as I agree the best IQ will come from the native ISO of the sensor but I have shots @ 10000 ISO from my KR that are entirely usable and when using really long glass it is nice to have the ability to bump up the ISO in order to get a higher shutter speed.

This is a 1000 pixel test with only in camera NR. 4000 ISO

bogiesbad is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Pentax »

Share this topic: