Panasonic Frees Creativity with Post Focus
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Panasonic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2015   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Post Panasonic Frees Creativity with Post Focus

Panasonic Frees Photographer’s Creativity with New 'Post Focus' Technology

LUMIX DMC-GX8, DMC-G7 and DMC-FZ330 enable any area of a photograph to be in-focus after shooting

Panasonic is encouraging photographers to shoot first and focus later with a new technological function called ‘Post Focus’. After taking a picture, the function enables photographers to select whichever part of the image they want to be in-focus with an easy one touch operation. Developed with Panasonic’s existing 4K Photo technology, Post Focus not only prevents out-of-focus misshots but also offers greater creative freedom, and is now available via a firmware update for the LUMIX DMC-GX8, DMC-G7 and DMC-FZ330.

Post Focus has been made possible by combining the high-speed, high-precision DFD (Depth from Defocus) auto focus technology and Panasonic’s 4K technology, made possible by the Venus Engine. Burst images in 4K resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels) are shot at 30 fps while detecting up to 49 areas of a frame for focus points at different depths of field.

Operation of the Post Focus function is straightforward and easy. Turn on post focus, compose and take your picture. Then, while reviewing the images simply touch the area you want the focus to be and a new image with the selected focus area will be produced as a separate photo.

In addition, this function can be used for creative purposes in different types of photography such as portrait, landscape and especially macro, where the optimal control is needed. Focus peaking, 5x magnified zoom and other fine adjustment settings can be used for even greater focus control. Several different impressions can be taken out of one picture by changing the focus and defocus within the image to select the desired subject. This assures that the photographer can select the best shot instead of out-of- focus misshots.

The Post Focus firmware update will be available at 01:00 GMT on 25th November, 2015 on the LUMIX Global site (LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global) for the LUMIX DMC-GX8, DMC-G7 and DMC-FZ330.

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Panasonic Frees Creativity with Post Focus

That sounds cool information Mr. P.
I may need to look at getting a G7 or G8.
Old 11-25-2015   #3
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

I saw a video of it. Does look very Lytro like.

I guess it looks at the scene and determines the "depth" of all the pieces in it that could be focused on, then opens the shutter and uses its 4K video capture, snaps a plethora of images to get anything in focus. So it might take 1-2 seconds to shoot it and another 1 or 2 to "process".

on the back of the camera, when you view it, you can actually touch the screen (touch sensitive screen) to pick the focal point. Pick, pick, pick whatever you want and it blurs the rest out like DOF would do. You can even zoom in and adjust a slider to get "micro adjustment". Then when done, save it and it pops out an 8K JPG I think.

I think it does save all the images, so you could focus stack them in software later. Not sure they make a beautiful focus stacking, but you can.

Me no have a Pany, so can't try it. I have the Olympus, which can do focus stacking in camera in the new firmware coming tomorrow I think it is, if you have an E-M1...with the Oly E-M5mkII you can do focus bracketing with the new firmware. All new and interesting toys being built-in nowadays.

Hope someone has a Pany and can try this and let us all know....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes

I have several Panasonics but unfortunately none of them are on the list of cameras enabled by this new technology.
Might have to give in to GAS and sneak yet another camera into the house without my wife noticing.

- Chase Jarvis
wolfd is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Panasonic »

Share this topic: