Point and Shoot to replace SLR
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 487620
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Point and Shoot to replace SLR

I'm going to be selling my Sony A6000 with a few lenses and flash. I want to move to a good point and shoot, one with raw capabilities and a good zoom lens.
Looking for some recommendations.

heaterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Point and Shoot to replace SLR

Before anyone can provide a useful answer, we need a better idea of your must-haves, nice-to-haves, mehs, can-endures, and must-not-haves. Also helpful would be the kinds of images you like to take, with the understanding that some of your lower-priority images may be difficult or maybe impossible with your chosen model.

In my own case, I do a lot of "fly-on-the-wall" event photography, hence a lot of ambient- and low-light shooting. I also really fell in love with the exceptionally good macro capability of my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 950, and have yet to find anything comparable to it in a bridge camera other than a Coolpix 9xx or 4500 one of those can give a dSLR with a macro lens a run for its money.

My own checklist would be something like this:
Must have:
Full manual control of shutter and aperture
Tripod socket
Manual white balance

Nice-to-have:
RAW mode
Filter threads, or at least have an adapter tube for mounting filters and lens accessories
Manual focus
Manual ISO control
Design "hooks" for external flash
Memory cards and batteries compatible with those I already have, e.g. AA cells, CF or SD cards
Especially good macro mode, extra "fast" lens and other features for good low-light performance
Constant aperture, or at minimal light gathering reduction at max focal length
Articulated main monitor
Auxiliary EVF
Internal flash (almost at "meh" level)
Variety of preset white balance settings
Image stabilization (the greater the telephoto capability, the greater the need for this feature)
Exceptionally long telephoto, 135 mm equiv at least, up to about 400 mm
Wide angle down to about 28 mm equiv.

Meh:
Scene modes
Auto white balance

Can endure:
3:1 zoom range

That said, I couldn't get everything I wanted in a waterproof camera, so I had to compromise on even some of my "must-haves" to get one, but that is a special-use rather than a general-use camera. Therefore, some of my "must-haves" could be demoted to "nice-to-haves."
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

At this point I'd consider just using an iphone instead of buying a P&S. They've come a long way, and don't they shoot raw as well now?

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Before anyone can provide a useful answer, we need a better idea of your must-haves, nice-to-haves, mehs, can-endures, and must-not-haves. Also helpful would be the kinds of images you like to take, with the understanding that some of your lower-priority images may be difficult or maybe impossible with your chosen model.

In my own case, I do a lot of "fly-on-the-wall" event photography, hence a lot of ambient- and low-light shooting. I also really fell in love with the exceptionally good macro capability of my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 950, and have yet to find anything comparable to it in a bridge camera other than a Coolpix 9xx or 4500 one of those can give a dSLR with a macro lens a run for its money.

My own checklist would be something like this:
Must have:
Full manual control of shutter and aperture
Tripod socket
Manual white balance

Nice-to-have:
RAW mode
Filter threads, or at least have an adapter tube for mounting filters and lens accessories
Manual focus
Manual ISO control
Design "hooks" for external flash
Memory cards and batteries compatible with those I already have, e.g. AA cells, CF or SD cards
Especially good macro mode, extra "fast" lens and other features for good low-light performance
Constant aperture, or at minimal light gathering reduction at max focal length
Articulated main monitor
Auxiliary EVF
Internal flash (almost at "meh" level)
Variety of preset white balance settings
Image stabilization (the greater the telephoto capability, the greater the need for this feature)
Exceptionally long telephoto, 135 mm equiv at least, up to about 400 mm
Wide angle down to about 28 mm equiv.

Meh:
Scene modes
Auto white balance

Can endure:
3:1 zoom range

That said, I couldn't get everything I wanted in a waterproof camera, so I had to compromise on even some of my "must-haves" to get one, but that is a special-use rather than a general-use camera. Therefore, some of my "must-haves" could be demoted to "nice-to-haves."
I guess I'd like to have all those abilities with a good zoom range. Looking at the Sony series right now but to get these options I'm looking at over a $1000 U.S.D. I'd like to stay around half of that.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2scene View Post
At this point I'd consider just using an iphone instead of buying a P&S. They've come a long way, and don't they shoot raw as well now?
Wasn't aware of any that had raw capabilities. I'll have to look into it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 19578623
Editing OK?: Yes

Something to look at.

https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-Var.../dp/B00KOUIBZW
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1469207

You might also consider shopping for used equipment, especially P&S and bridge cameras. You can get something good for a lot cheaper than buying new. If I don't have an absolute need for the latest thing, that is the route I usually go, though I have bought new cameras and lenses when I couldn't find what I needed on the used market. And pretty much everything you buy new will become used equipment before long anyway.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdog2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
You might also consider shopping for used equipment, especially P&S and bridge cameras. You can get something good for a lot cheaper than buying new. If I don't have an absolute need for the latest thing, that is the route I usually go, though I have bought new cameras and lenses when I couldn't find what I needed on the used market. And pretty much everything you buy new will become used equipment before long anyway.
Thanks, I'll look into both.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

yeah, look at Panasonic ones too, like mentioned above. Look for their LUMIX FZ300 too (24x zoom, f/2.8, 4k). Think it is 4 or 5 hundred. if you want to max out to the $1000 you mentioned 9don't think you do), their LUMIX FZ2500 would fit your bill. But they are kind of big and might not be P&S to some people.

Maybe you can find a LUMIX DC-ZS70S.... it is smaller

And my iPhone XR does not do RAW.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
yeah, look at Panasonic ones too, like mentioned above. Look for their LUMIX FZ300 too (24x zoom, f/2.8, 4k). Think it is 4 or 5 hundred. if you want to max out to the $1000 you mentioned 9don't think you do), their LUMIX FZ2500 would fit your bill. But they are kind of big and might not be P&S to some people.

Maybe you can find a LUMIX DC-ZS70S.... it is smaller

And my iPhone XR does not do RAW.
Will do, Mr. Pickles. Thanks for the feedback.

heaterguy is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses »

Share this topic: