Crop sensors Vs full size
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2016   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 105
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Crop sensors Vs full size

So a crop sensor camera like the 7D Mk ll can take photos at about 20 mp, but some full size sensor cameras can take 20 mp too.
So why pay for full size when a crop sensor has the same megapixels?

Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
boristhemoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 131499
Default Re: Crop sensors Vs full size

All pixels are not created equally and a camera is much more that just the sensor.
RoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3654690

This explains the difference better than I ever could. Does Pixel Size Matter Clarkvision.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhemoggy View Post
So a crop sensor camera like the 7D Mk ll can take photos at about 20 mp, but some full size sensor cameras can take 20 mp too.
So why pay for full size when a crop sensor has the same megapixels?
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016   #4
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyC View Post
All pixels are not created equally and a camera is much more that just the sensor.
Just by itself that statement is pretty much useless. Please explain, or provide links to explain.
Merry christmas
Canon 5D, Canon 5DSr, Canon 16-35 mm f/4 L USM EF, Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS EF, Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L MK II USM IS EF, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM EF macro, Canon 2x Mk III converter, Canon 580 EX II flash, Yonghuo 568EX II flash, Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash, Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 tripod with MHXPRO-BHQ2 ballhead. Manfrotto 790B Monopod.
Old 12-25-2016   #5
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
This explains the difference better than I ever could. Does Pixel Size Matter Clarkvision.com
Thanks, I'll spend the next week trying to understand all that lol
Old 12-25-2016   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 131499

Quote:
Just by itself that statement is pretty much useless. Please explain, or provide links to explain.
Merry christmas
See link in post number 3.

After digesting all of the above data you should have a headache. You will also know that the answer to which is best, will generally, begin with "It depends".
RoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120
Editing OK?: Ask First

For me, I want a bigger sensor. I have both a crop sensor camera that's been converted for IR, and a full frame sensor camera. Full frame is the way to go if you want better noise capability, better resolution, better dynamic range, more control of depth of field, things like that.

Right now I'm waiting to see what becomes of the medium format Fuji camera. I like big sensors and large image files. I like to manipulate my images in Photoshop as well, and they just have a better look and feel to them. They hold up better when you really start to push and pull them. Well in my opinion they do anyway.

Crop sensors are fine too. If the 'benefits' of a larger sensor are not what you're looking for, there is no reason to spend more, carry larger camera bodies, bigger lenses, and lug the extra weight around. If the 'benefits' are what you are looking for, you don't have a choice.

With all that said, there is something really nice about grabbing a small light weight camera that is easy to carry and just go out snapping images. It's easy and fun.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465

Maybe this will put it in perspective?

https://youtu.be/PHYidejT3KY
Old 12-25-2016   #9
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
Maybe this will put it in perspective?

https://youtu.be/PHYidejT3KY
Excellent video. but slightly disingenuous. The person shooting with the 8 x 10 made a choice to shoot on film that large right? Well what led him to that choice? The same issues as there is between APS-C and FF?
Old 12-25-2016   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465

Quote:
Excellent video. but slightly disingenuous. The person shooting with the 8 x 10 made a choice to shoot on film that large right? Well what led him to that choice? The same issues as there is between APS-C and FF?
I think the point was that the difference between APS-C and FF is minimal because they are so close in size. Certainly not enough to be concerned with at sizes most people use.

swampler is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses »

Share this topic: