Meyer Optik Gorlitz Lydith 3.5 30mm
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1941137
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Meyer Optik Gorlitz Lydith 3.5 30mm

I've been using this lens for years & recently the ring that has the aperture settings marked on it has come loose & can turn completely around the lens. It hasn't affected the quality of the images, but whenever I need to change the aperture settings, it's a bit of an effort to hold the ring down while I reset the aperture indicator mark. My question is, is this a simple repair if I take on the challenge, or should I just live with it?

Old 11-05-2016   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Meyer Optik Gorlitz Lydith 3.5 30mm

Is there a particular reason you can't use something like a cyanoacrylate glue like Crazy Glue or a thread locker like LocTite to glue the ring into place? Unless I miss my guess, that is how the ring was originally fixed in place anyway.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016   #3
Vicuna

How far in through the front of the lens do I need to go to put the spot of glue?Should I buy a spanner to remove the front ring? That seems the safeest procedure without scarring anything.
ransom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

From the description of the problem, it was my impression that the ring with the numbers on it was an inlay to another ring that actually set the aperture and the rings were intended to rotate as a unit. I was expecting the glue or thread locking compound to be applied to the edge of the aperture ring, where it would wick into the crack between the two rings and set. Thread locking compound is intended for cementing two closely fitting metal parts because it sets only when air is excluded. This makes cleanup easy because the overflow never sets and can be wiped off.

After having looked at an image of such a lens, it is not at all clear that my idea would work at all. Fortunately, this looks like a fairly simple lens with only five groups, each with only a single element. If you can't do the repair, it also looks like you will have to live with the problem because the price of repairing the lens would be comparable to the cost of replacing it.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016   #5
Vicuna

Sorry for the late response... wife in hospital . I bought a spanner off of Ebay & will take it apart next wee. At worse it can be a bad repair & at best it'll be an education. I'll let you know what I find out. THANKS!
ransom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016   #6
Vicuna

OK, here's what I decided- after doing a couple more tests this problem does not affect image quality at all. Focusing throughout the aperture choices is no problem in spite of the location of this ring. On critical focusing, I use my tripod & the enlarged image view on my camera's back screen. I'm not going to take the lens apart just because setting the aperture is a minor problem.
Thanks for letting me bounce my questions off of you!

Have a Merry Christmas!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses »

Share this topic: