Tokina 100mm f2.8 pro D macro
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 410620
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Tokina 100mm f2.8 pro D macro

Just ordered a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Pro D lens for T3i. I've read reviews on this lens in several spots and have seen a lot of really good reviews on this lens.

Just wanted to post this and see if anyone here has this lens and what their view of it is.

Primarily wanted a Macro to do close up nature pics such as bees and bugs but also a good walk around lens.

I picked this lens primarily because I don't have another $600 plus dollars to spend on L glass.

Let me know if anyone else is shooting this lens on either the Canon or Nikon platform and give an honest opinion on it. Post some pics taken with the lens if you like.

Moderators, if I put this in the wrong discussion location please move the appropriate spot.

Thanks,

KHarmon

Old 02-10-2015   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 683702
Default Re: Tokina 100mm f2.8 pro D macro

100mm on a Rebel strikes me as rather longish
for a "walk around" lens. If you're doing bugs
and bees etc with 4X tele, seems to me you'd
want either image stabilization or a tripod ...
and again the "walk around" idea hits me kinda
oddly if a tripod is required. OTOH, one man's
walk around is another man's safari, so ...

`
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 410620
Default Re: Tokina 100mm f2.8 pro D macro

I received the Tokina today. Unfortunately, I was so busy with the wife and kids this afternoon I had the opportunity to take one quick shot with it to make sure that it worked.

This cat is a stray that we have almost tame enough to let us pet it. He will approach and meow at us but won't quite trust us enough to let us pet him.

He wants to be "friends" with my daughters cat who is almost old enough to start going into season so it is definitely time to get her fixed. Either way, my daughters cat HATES this guy and the tension between these two can be cut with a knife.

As far as clarity and sharpness goes, I have no complaints. I'm going to get my light tent out this week end and experiment a bit further.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses »

Share this topic: