A Quick Review of Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and Some Other Third Party Brands
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Smile A Quick Review of Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and Some Other Third Party Brands

Camera Lens Brands II - The Third Party
http://theasiandude.com/2014/04/24/camera-lens-brands-thirdparty/

When it comes to DSLR lenses you can either go for first party or third party lenses. So what is the differences, in terms of performance, price and etc?

I have summarized those in the article based on my experience.

kersing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465
Default Re: A Quick Review of Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and Some Other Third Party Brands

Interesting summary. You did leave the 14 f/2.8 out of the Samyang lineup though. It's a great little manual lens for a great price.
Old 05-05-2014   #3
Alpaca

Default Re: A Quick Review of Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and Some Other Third Party Brands

i did a quick googling and figured that I have written the 14mm as 17mm. Thanks for correcting me, I have amended the error.

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC

so do you own a samyang 14mm? i think at 14mm manual focusing will not be a problem
Old 05-05-2014   #4
Camel Breath

Yes, I do own it (Rokinon branded). Haven't used a lot, but focusing isn't an issue. I just preset to hyperfocal and go.

EDIT: Here's a sample hand held nearing sunset. Distortion corrected using a profile I d/l for Lightroom.

OB5C5484.jpg
ISO 1250
1/30s
Old 05-05-2014   #5
Alpaca

are you on APS or FF? 14mm is not a focal length that I use often, the most I go when I am on FF camera is around 24mm... but most of the time, like 60% of the time, I am in between 35mm to 50mm, I am a 'normal' guy, no pun intended.
Old 05-05-2014   #6
Camel Breath

FF. Shooting currently with a 5D Mk III.

I actually shoot sports mostly, but trying to branch into other things.
Old 05-05-2014   #7
Alpaca

the colors and details look okay at the shadow areas of this photo...

I thought Lebanon High is really in the middle east Lebanon, probably in Beirut or somewhere.. it seems not :P
Old 05-05-2014   #8
Alpaca

I took a look at your smugmug site and figured you are into sport photography... the equipments for sport photography cost a lot of money...

I have been on a 5d II for years... used to have a 30d long time ago

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses »

Share this topic:

Tags
sigma, tamron, third party lens, tokina, zeiss