Leica M8 DIGITAL RANGEFINDER, exclusive preview ;-)) M@H
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Leica M8 DIGITAL RANGEFINDER, exclusive preview ;-)) M@H

...on DPReview!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...8previewed.asp

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #2
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Leica M8 DIGITAL RANGEFINDER, exclusive preview ;-)) M@H

It looks great, and the 1.33x crop factor is a reasonable compromise I guess, though I'm sure that FF would have been what the Leica enthusiasts would have preferred?

The angled microlenses sounds interesting. Don't some other DSLR's do the same thing? I feel sure I read of this in the past but can't locate the source.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882
Editing OK?: Ask First

OK, I have a little engineering problem with their explanation of why they chose 1.3 crop vs. FF.* *In their explanation they stated that rangefinder cameras because of the proximity of the lens to sensor plane that a 1.3 factor was necessary?* Assuming a standard 35mm lens, not digi, why is it then that my old Nikon "S" rangefinder with a Nikon F:1.2 exposes the full FF 35mm on film.* The same light source falls on both medium?
It really sound like more of an economic move rather than physical engineering on a FF sensor.* Assuming light fall off on the edges of a digi sensor, then the same logic of canted photosites on the sensor could be utilized for FF.* Considering the number of FF, 35mm lenses already in existence would be a boon to current owners of 35mm cameras but of course would restrict the number of sales of new digi only lenses to purchasers of the M8.
I believe it is more of a marketing guise than engineering problem.
Old 09-14-2006   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

The reason that a FF 24x36mm sensor isn't going to work is because the sensor likes to have light hit it at a 90-degree angle, and the rangefinder lenses are physically too close to the sensor, and thus hit the sensor at odd angles that don't work out well.* This is the same reason why soft corners are a bigger problem with Canon's FF sensors in say, a Canon 5D using a 24-70L, than if you loaded a roll of film into a Canon EOS 3 using that same lens.

<EDIT>
After reading some more... where's the top plate engraving?* That's the reason I didn't buy a "modern" Leica when I had a chance, as the engraving was an extra-cost option using the a-la-carte order system.

I am liking the centered-tripod mount (finally), and I guess the "remove the base to change batteries or SD card" is a fun throwback, though it's scoring negative points for usability.* Still, it'll be fun holding the brass bottom in one's mouth or jamming it somewhere handy like the good ol' days.

The charger reminds me of Kodak's SLR/n charger, and is how it should be done by any company; the only thing missing is the option to connect it to the camera as an AC adapter, but I doubt many Leica users will need AC power.* I guess I don't like being told that to clean the sensor on my D2H myself, I need to buy a $55 AC adapter in addition to sensor cleaning supplies to keep the mirror up properly (holding the shutter open with bulb isn't going to work well for a wet clean).

Like I've always said, the charge for adding the 6-bit encoding to old lenses is no fun.* They're expensive enough.

I can definitely live with the shutter noise.* It's usually the mirror that gives me away anyhow.* 2 fps continuous drive... LOL, might as well have it.* Not sure how many will actually need/use this, as I've never seen a Leica shooter with the rapidwinder or similar devices.* 1/250 flash sync... finally!* No more of that 1/50 cloth shutter thing.

I don't like how everything's menu-based, but I guess I can live with that.* Wish the arrow keys could be bound to quick-access ISO, WB, etc. like on the Canon Rebels, and then you could just spin the back dial to change it.* Also, not going to touch the funky two-third-stop only ISO settings.
Old 09-14-2006   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882
Editing OK?: Ask First

By thier own description the photosites on thier new 1.3 chip are angled towards the light source....why not include a few extra "hamburgers" on a FF chip. I think it's cost rather than engineering factor. If it is cost, then Leica, why not give your customers what they overpay for. Rather than some skin from a tree dwelling elephant, give them superior engineering.
Old 09-17-2006   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 226
Editing OK?: Ask first

I wonder how loud the shutter is?

Confusion Circle is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Other Cameras and Lenses »

Share this topic: