Models are always retouched. Show this to your kids.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 18
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Models are always retouched. Show this to your kids.

I found this website with some useful info regarding models and their appearence on magazine covers. Maybe it would be useful to point out some of these tricks to the youth of today. All is certainly not as it seems. Pass the time with your daughter as I did and remember beauty is only skin deep.

It's whats inside that realy counts.

Client: Ministry of Health and Social Affairs
Title: Retouch

The media world is becoming increasingly fixated on appearances. And the number of tricks used to achieve the increasingly exaggerated ideals is growing. Many models have plastic surgery and even more are retouched so they appear to have bigger breasts, smaller stomachs or fuller lips.

We wanted to show how easy it is to change someones appearance in this campaign.

http://demo.fb.se/e/girlpower/retouch/

ukwanderer

Relativly new to photography.Learning is proving difficult because of 2 children, 2 ex wifes, , 2 jobs and very little spare time. But I have a cunning plan.If selling the ready made family on Ebays, falls on it's ass, then the lottery is sure to work.If only I could find the time to buy a ticket.
ukwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Models are always retouched. Show this to your kids.

You are absolutely right. As a photographer and retoucher, I show my kids how this works fairly often. I guess I'm a bit surprised at the breast enlargement, it make little sense to me to go to that sort of trouble and fakery.

With that said. I do touch up my images of people using one rule... if it's ephemeral like a pimple, a bruise, a scratch, anything that will go away with time, it's fair to retouch... otherwise, I leave it. Unless a client pays me to do otherwise... but that's business and how I put bread on my table. I've never been asked to enlarge breasts or make someone thinner though.

Just as an aside, I have a shot that demonstrates the same point about how far retouching can go. This is from a victoria's Secret Catalog...

Chip

Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: