I've had it with Fundys
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 14721
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I've had it with Fundys

Where to start......
I live in Texas, so I'm in the buckle of the belt.

For Christians around here, the New Testiment is as good as the Old, provided it proves your point. Choose a bit from here, a bit from there, and don't let the contridictions get you down.

Ugg.

I've honestly never met and conversed with so many people who didn't know history. At all. Nor have I met with people who didn't look at the entire Dead Sea Scrolls. Gospel of Thomas? Mary? Never heard of those.

What was the Canon? Oh, it's just a bunch of Catholics from the time of Augustine, who incorporated pagan ideas to make it meld with the townspeople. Christmas Tress? Pagan. Easter, from Estera. Even the bunny rabbit. Colored eggs, the whole shebang.

Take for instance Mithra. Born of a virgin mother, by God's will. Put to death on a cross. Rose 3 days later. Ummmm, 1800 years before Christ's birth.

If you look at the timing, Mark was written at 40ad. Thomas (uncannonized) at 40ad.
Matthew a few hundred years later. John was written (both gospel and revelations at 800 years after Jesus's death.) 800 years.

And if you look at the transformation between the early writings of Mark and the later writings of "John" you will see that the story gets bigger and bigger.
In Thomas, Mark, and Mathew, Jesus never proclaims that he is God's son. Only in John does he do so. In these Gospels, he refers to himself as a profit. Only Matthew tells him him is God Incarnate. Then comes "John". Who actually signed his name as "Q" in the dead sea scrolls. Again, an account written 800 years after the death of Jesus.

If you keep the timelines in mind, and you read from Mark, Thomas, Mathew, Luke, Mark and John, you will see a bigger buiding of the story. Not only was Jesus doing this, but he was providing miracles, complete with a whole story.

Problem is the original story happened during Jesus's lifetime. The other stories were written a Century(s) later.

But for some people around my little buckle of the bible, prefer to only remember the later texts. Those written centuries later. And totally disregard the past history, and earliest texts. I can't fathom why.

Old 12-29-2008   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: I've had it with Fundys

I got some views on this (when don't I?) but I'll sit and watch for a while...

Old 12-29-2008   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
I got some views on this (when don't I?) but I'll sit and watch for a while...

Ha. Me too, Brian, but don't watch long because it's gonna get locked quick.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2798

Unfortunately religion is by it's nature more heart than mind. People choose what they want to believe in and often what parts of that religion as well. Often no rationale or critical analysis comes in to it.
I used to work with an almost fanatical christian guy that could not see anything wrong with beating up his wife and kids. He choose to just read the parts of the bible that suited himself, missed the whole thing about turning the other cheek or love your neighbour.

There are seldom any point of arguing with this type of people, even if I personally find it quite amusing from time to time (as a result Jehovah Witnesses no longer call at my house).

Here for a brighter day tomorrow...
Old 12-29-2008   #5
F1 Camel

Yay Viking. You get it. And I think Brian gets it. Lee, maybe. I hope so.

Don't get me wrong. Religion is a beautiful thing. I honestly feel that it serves a purpose in our little lives.

What gets me is people who know NOTHING of the history of things, pipe in with all their weird freaky crap. Or at least weird and freaky to me.

This part gets me the most. The bible has two parts. The first part is about God who doesn't see sinners in a kindly manner, and has no problems wacking them with plauges, famon, floods, sacrifices, etc. It's totally ok to hit your wife in the OT. You can kill your kids. Stoning is the preferred method of dealing with things.

Then here comes Jesus in the NT, and he says, basically, we aren't doing that anymore. What kills me is that most Christians still view the Jewish Bible (OT) when it suits them, and less and less in the (NT) because you can't be so judgemental in those books.

This might get pulled. I don't know. We can have post after post about Obama, but not the Bible. Go figure.
littlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #6
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 236397

Is there a specific event which prompted this thread?
Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegal View Post
Yay Viking. You get it. And I think Brian gets it. Lee, maybe. I hope so.
He gets it just like I do.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. Religion is a beautiful thing. I honestly feel that it serves a purpose in our little lives.
That's where you and I would differ, Cindy. FAITH is a beautiful thing. Religion is a bureaucratic, political spin on a person's faith in something beyond themselves. I feel that religion is someone's (or some committee's) view on what everyone's faith SHOULD be, not what it actually is.

Quote:
This might get pulled. I don't know. We can have post after post about Obama, but not the Bible. Go figure.
One does not mess with the new Messiah. The old one, though....we're not supposed to talk about that.
Old 12-29-2008   #8
F1 Camel

Absolutely.
Old 12-29-2008   #9
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
He gets it just like I do.

That's where you and I would differ, Cindy. FAITH is a beautiful thing. Religion is a bureaucratic, political spin on a person's faith in something beyond themselves. I feel that religion is someone's (or some committee's) view on what everyone's faith SHOULD be, not what it actually is.

One does not mess with the new Messiah. The old one, though....we're not supposed to talk about that.
Ok Brian, you are one of the brain undead. Thank God!
Yes, faith is beautiful. Simple. Loving. Trusting.
Religion is an early political system that raised taxes, tithes, put people in prison. Kinda like the politics of today, only a long time ago.
And I agree with you yet again. I knew from your first post that we would. Faith is up to the person. That is how it is. . God's laws are God's laws, and get this fundies, it's the SAME laws in every religion on the Planet. Pagan, Hindu, Zen, Muslim, Christian, Jewish.......

The difference comes with the judgements.... And you know who you are.
Old 12-29-2008   #10
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 4422

Wow. Never thought that I'd see THIS thread on the Camel!

I agree wholeheartedly. I happen to live with someone who knows the bible very VERY well. And depending on who she's talking to, she might be a conservative Christian or a Pagan. She can twist the words of the Bible to suit her particular needs. A verse here and a verse there... skipping over the other parts... just so that it's saying what she wants it to say.

It drives me crazy. She knows that I am a Christian and tries to have Biblical discussions with me - but all she ends up doing is ticking me off with the WAY she's discussing it. She uses "her" verses to prove to me that whatever I am saying is wrong... or immoral, or whatever.

Anyways... I'm with you guys here!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its a quiet voice at the end of the day that says "Try again tomorrow" -Mary Anne Radmacher
angelsfort is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: