I've had it with Fundys - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: I've had it with Fundys

Guess this is one reason im an atheist. Makes things easier for me. Not basing opinions off 20 different gospals that have been filtered through many hands (and im sure rewrites) over the centuries.

Its like that old joke about a line of people. Whisper something to the first one and see how its changed by the last.

I dont dislike religion. I actually like its fundemental belief of happiness, be good to each other, etc. Its just the radical parts of it I cant get behind. (Plus my lack of belief in a deity and his nemesis.)

So maybe if people would remember the reasons behind religion and not get hung up on the words, then maybe there would be a little less friction out there. But thats just my .02
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 14721

Angels,
I hear you but I am more your wife. Sorry.
I honor all traditions and faiths. Just weird that way. I trust that there must be some sort of
God out there that I can't possibly understand. It's just too big for me to understand or get it.
I'm a history freak, and my favorite history books are about religion. That doesn't bode well in my family either. But history is, what history is. And Christianity is a relativly small religion on the global scale. Hindus are number one, the Buddists, then Muslims.
But the deal is, they all basically say the same thing. The fundimentals, are right there. It's the rest of it that goes wonky.
littlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975

Wow!
Pony I think this started over breast-feeding, but I can see that it really was an anti-religion thing at it's core. (as I suspected) I'm game, but first we gotta start with some real knowledge about the Bible and the histories of religions. And Littlegal, your synopsis ain't quite what I recall from my study of history and the bible. We both must have our slant, to be sure.

Secondly I'd have to say that anyone that uses the Bible to dish out hate or bring about evil or bad behavior isn't using it as it was intended.

Let's start with a few questions. First, who believes in God or a god?

So I'm in for a discussion

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #14
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Guess this is one reason im an atheist. Makes things easier for me. Not basing opinions off 20 different gospals that have been filtered through many hands (and im sure rewrites) over the centuries.

Its like that old joke about a line of people. Whisper something to the first one and see how its changed by the last.

I dont dislike religion. I actually like its fundemental belief of happiness, be good to each other, etc. Its just the radical parts of it I cant get behind. (Plus my lack of belief in a deity and his nemesis.)

So maybe if people would remember the reasons behind religion and not get hung up on the words, then maybe there would be a little less friction out there. But thats just my .02

You are talking about the old game from the 50s called "Telephone". It started out in a big circle. The first person would tell a story, and then the next person would tell the next, and so on, until the end. By the time it got to the end, it was Nutso, much Like Mathew and John. John especially, because it was 800 years of "telephone". The story had gone from " Jesus lost a sheep and found him and honored him", to this whole huge story by John that was completely over the top. In Thomas/Mark it's just a short parable. By the time it gets to "John/Q" 800 years later, we have angels and God at work, it couldn't have been done without a miracle. Not only did Jesus find the sheep, but he had a lesson for all mankind, and you better listen or else, because by John, it was no longer Jesus, it was God speaking through Jesus saying you better listen or else. Again....this "recolection" by "John", was 800 years later.
Old 12-29-2008   #15
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegal View Post
But history is, what history is.
As another avid history buff, I'm going to have to disagree with that one.

The more I read up on subjects from several different books/authors, the more I realize that each person has his/her own take on history. History is a mixture of fact and biased conclusions.
Old 12-29-2008   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975

Exactly right Brian.
For instance history from a Catholic University may be different than from a liberal college/university.
And your "history" is a product of where you learned it, or sometimes when you rail against where you learned it.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #17
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterfr View Post
Wow!
Pony I think this started over breast-feeding, but I can see that it really was an anti-religion thing at it's core. (as I suspected) I'm game, but first we gotta start with some real knowledge about the Bible and the histories of religions. And Littlegal, your synopsis ain't quite what I recall from my study of history and the bible. We both must have our slant, to be sure.
Keep it mind that your "slant" is going to be based not only on your own studies but HOW you were taught and your upbringing. It influences your objectivity. (that's a generic "your" and not pointing at you, Fran)

Quote:
Secondly I'd have to say that anyone that uses the Bible to dish out hate or bring about evil or bad behavior isn't using it as it was intended.
If we know that books were removed and aren't included in the modern Bible, how do we know it's designed as intended?

Quote:

From an accuracy and historical perspective, though, does belief in God matter?
Old 12-29-2008   #18
F1 Camel

Quote:
Wow!

I'm all for discourse. I am religious. No, actually, I am aware of Biblical Traditions, and God Stories and I honor them.

I believe there is a God. And I believe he/she made this really cool world that I am honored to live on. And he/she made my life really great, as I want for nothing.
You talk about history. So lets talk about histories of religion as that is my strong point over photography. I've spent more than half of my life studying theology, so I'm game.
But have your history ready........
Old 12-29-2008   #19
F1 Camel

Quote:
Exactly right Brian.
For instance history from a Catholic University may be different than from a liberal college/university.
And your "history" is a product of where you learned it, or sometimes when you rail against where you learned it.
No, not exactly. My base is the Dead Sea Scrolls which included most Canonised accounts
Old 12-29-2008   #20
F1 Camel

Quote:
Wow!

Are you serious? The OT dishes out Hate left and right! It's all war and death, and you better act right or else.
The NT, is a bit more forgiving until you get to anything "written" by "John".
Read it. Just as it is. I'm not asking you to read outside your own bible. But look. And see.
But I already know you won't.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: