Remember..
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Remember..

Remember, remember, the 5th of November. The gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason, why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot!

Heh, one of my favorite movies. I cant let this day pass unrecognized.

Old 11-06-2008   #2
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Default Re: Remember..

Hey Douglas, nice to see someone knows about the significance of this date .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night has always been a big thing here in the UK - a sort of July 4th with lots of fireworks and bonfires. It was funny reading a previous thread about the shock and horror of seeing someone hang a mannequin of Sarah Palin. Over here almost every year you'd get a bonfire with a stuffed 'guy fawkes' that often resembled the current prime minister - especially when Thatcher was in power. I can't imagine the outrage if that happened in the US. Sometimes it's good to be subversive in that way. You're showing your elected representatives that they're there because of you and can just as easily go up in smoke .
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shields View Post
You're showing your elected representatives that they're there because of you and can just as easily go up in smoke .
Except it just switched from a political protest to a "hate crime" in the US...
Old 11-06-2008   #4
senses working overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
Except it just switched from a political protest to a "hate crime" in the US...
Why is that though? I think it's good to rebel against the establishment in such a way. It doesn't hurt anyone.
Old 11-06-2008   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shields View Post
Why is that though? I think it's good to rebel against the establishment in such a way. It doesn't hurt anyone.
I fully agree.

The issue is that any crime directed at a person who is NOT a straight, white male, can be classified as a hate crime with that lack of a clear definition in the law. Bush and all of the previous Presidents were straight, white men. No "hate crime" possible.

Hanging a black man in effigy, however politically motivated, can be classified as a hate crime and get the FBI on your back (completely disregarding any Secret Service attention as well).
Old 11-06-2008   #6
senses working overtime

Well maybe... I was comparing burning an effigy of Margaret Thatcher to that of hanging Sarah Palin. Both very white, both very right wing, but the reactions are certainly different. In the UK it was just a mildly subversive thing. I suspect it would have caused uproar in the US (similar to burning the national flag).

I agree on the hanging of a black man though. I was listening to an interesting radio program today about how it's now almost impossible to discuss the colour of a person's skin due to the overly 'political correct' world we live in. Eventually we will all need to be colour blind on these things. Maybe having a black person as the leader of the 'free world' will be a step in that direction.
Old 11-07-2008   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838

I think the issue is that we still arent very removed from the times where black people woke up and found burning crosses on their property. Heck, we even just had recently another incident where a black man was dragged behind a truck and killed.

You even still have people say "If Obama makes it to his swearing in". I joked about McCain and that, but that was due to his age. But people are saying this about Obama, and seriously think he will be assassinated. How can a country call itself advanced and evolved when we still think this way? But I do think, as you said Paul, that having a black man as President is a huge step for this country. To win and to win as solidly is amazing. But his true test has yet to come. Can he somewhat deliver what he promised? Can he get this nation back on track? If he can win again in 2012 when hes running on his own merits and not just against a party that people came to hate, then we will know.

As for Guy Fawkes, prior to the movie I really didnt know anything about him. Thats why I was glad the dvd had all the history to go along with the behind the scenes stuff.

Penny for the Guy?
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Remember, remember, the 5th of November. The gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason, why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot!

Heh, one of my favorite movies. I cant let this day pass unrecognized.

what a great story. i am sorry to say, i had forgot this

Kenko MC7 2X, Pro 300
Nkkor 50 1.8 70-300VR
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: