Election thread - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

View Poll Results: I am voting for/would vote for
Obama / Biden 72 48.98%
McCain / Palin 69 46.94%
Other (explain) 6 4.08%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008   #21
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 542743
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Election thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Waldroup View Post
The Republican Party will become a viable party once again, when it throws the war mongers, the reliqious funadmentalist wackos, and the hate merchants out.
For the record I think both candidates are buffoons. But do you really think the Republican party has a monopoly on hate merchants? What about Rosie O'Donnell, Michael Moore, Al Franken,and the rest of the Hollywood elite, especially those who coughed up thousands of dollars to hear Barbara Streisand and help the candidiate of the working man.

You might as well face it. If you base your argument on one side being filled with hate merchants, well they are just two sides of the same coin my friend.

And while I am on this subject I am a person of strong religious faith. I have made no secret on this board of my love for Christ and I resent being labelled a religious fundamentalist wacko. If I am a wacko then why? Because I try to love others. Because I try to treat others as better than myself? Because I value Christ above the things of this world? So tell me why people of Christian faith are religious fundamentalist wackos? I am willing to bet you cannot make a cogent argument other than rhetoric.

War Eagle
k9ofkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #22
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 1229896
Editing OK?: No

No Brian, I was not implying that Europeans have more tolerance for black leadership than the US. At least, that is not what I meant. I was curious as to why they would back Obama in such overwhelming numbers and you gave some very good reasons as to why they would.

I just think that there are so many racists in the US that it will be extremely hard for Obama to win this thing. I really believe that.

And I especially do not buy the notion that Obama would be less likely to use force against a terrorist attack or a real threat of a terrorist attack.

Have you guys seen the news this morning? The attacks are on. When you have absolutely no platform to run on, when picking a cute, airheaded chick doesn't quite work out for you, well then there is one last resort- let's make it personal and hope like hell the zombies unite behind us just one last time.

This campaign has been ugly but it is about to get much uglier.
Rick Waldroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #23
Bactrian

I sincerely want to apologize to those of the Christian faith. I have lumped a lot of you with the out-of-touch, intolerant, fundamentalist lunatics who seem to have such a stranglehold on the Republican Party, and that is wrong. And I am being sincere here, I am not being a smartass.

And Mojo, how dare you attack the patron saint of the left, Michael Moore.

I can live without the other two you mentioned- O'Donnell and Franken are a couple of blowhards, but to attack the one man on the left who always speaks the truth is just uncalled for.

In the name of all good liberals everywhere, who are always right about everything, I demand an apology right away. Thank you.
Old 10-06-2008   #24
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
I just think that there are so many racists in the US that it will be extremely hard for Obama to win this thing. I really believe that.
God is going to strike me down for saying this but...ugh...this hurts....

I agree with you there.

I grew up in a "mixed" neighborhood and didn't even consider that blacks were "different" until I was told so by other kids at school. And, sadly, they were taught by their parents. Mine just didn't see things that way.

The country is full of racists, both "open" and closet types, on both sides of the color line.

Quote:
And I especially do not buy the notion that Obama would be less likely to use force against a terrorist attack or a real threat of a terrorist attack.
With no experience to back it up, it's a crap shoot for either of us.

Quote:
Have you guys seen the news this morning? The attacks are on. When you have absolutely no platform to run on, when picking a cute, airheaded chick doesn't quite work out for you, well then there is one last resort- let's make it personal and hope like hell the zombies unite behind us just one last time.

This campaign has been ugly but it is about to get much uglier.
We're at the 4 week mark. This is actually traditional, sad as it is.
Old 10-06-2008   #25
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
God is going to strike me down for saying this but...ugh...this hurts....

I agree with you there.

I grew up in a "mixed" neighborhood and didn't even consider that blacks were "different" until I was told so by other kids at school. And, sadly, they were taught by their parents. Mine just didn't see things that way.

The country is full of racists, both "open" and closet types, on both sides of the color line.

With no experience to back it up, it's a crap shoot for either of us.

We're at the 4 week mark. This is actually traditional, sad as it is.

Well, Brian, Hell must be freezing over, because we actually agreed on a couple of points.

You are right about the campaign. It is going to get ugly on both sides. To tell you the truth, I will be glad when all of this is over.

You know, maybe we ought to limit the time spent on campaigns. Maybe our UK friends can chime in here. Don't you guys have a time limit on campaining? Just think if we could narrow this endless campaign down to 3 or even 6 months, tops- instead of years. Does anyone out here think this could work?
Old 10-06-2008   #26
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Well, Brian, Hell must be freezing over, because we actually agreed on a couple of points.

You are right about the campaign. It is going to get ugly on both sides. To tell you the truth, I will be glad when all of this is over.
Me, too, on both counts.

Quote:
You know, maybe we ought to limit the time spent on campaigns. Maybe our UK friends can chime in here. Don't you guys have a time limit on campaining? Just think if we could narrow this endless campaign down to 3 or even 6 months, tops- instead of years. Does anyone out here think this could work?
I have to admit that the parliamentary election system seems a lot more representative and realistic than this republic stuff. Granted, the PM isn't selected by the people in that system but with the variety of parties, the smaller districts, and the consensus requirements, it seems that more "will of the people" can take effect and less party politics.

Consider how much time and money has gone into this campaign. Two YEARS ago is when Obama announced his candidacy. Many others were doing so at the same time. Consider all the money and effort that poured into those campaigns that could have been directed toward other things. Hundreds of millions of dollars spent to win a popularity contest for a ownership of a system that ultimately changes the person more than the person changing the system.

And the system is what is broke more than anything.
Old 10-06-2008   #27
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

Quote:
No Brian, I was not implying that Europeans have more tolerance for black leadership than the US. At least, that is not what I meant. I was curious as to why they would back Obama in such overwhelming numbers and you gave some very good reasons as to why they would.
Well, I obviously can't speak for all Europeans (we're a pretty diverse mix ), but I think the popularity is as much to do with the dislike of Bush and his policies as admiration of Obama. I don't think it's anything to do with race - it would still be a big step up for a black person to be prime minister/president in pretty much any Western country. We had Margaret Thatcher in power for a decade or so in the UK, so we're well used to the prospect of female leadership (not that Thatcher was any more popular than Bush in her later years). I think the 'born again Christian' stuff also grates with most European sentiments. The major parties don't mix religion with politics. That seems to be a particularly US phenomenon.

Quote:
That is my feeling too. It's one thing to say something and another to vote on it. It reminds me of Neil Kinnock in a previous UK election. According to the polls he was going to win, but once in front of the ballot box the closet 'Thatcherites' came out of the - erm, closet .

Quote:
I'm sure he'll do the right thing for his country. The attacks on him as a 'friend of terrorists' surely won't stick
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #28
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

Quote:
I have to admit that the parliamentary election system seems a lot more representative and realistic than this republic stuff. Granted, the PM isn't selected by the people in that system but with the variety of parties, the smaller districts, and the consensus requirements, it seems that more "will of the people" can take effect and less party politics.
Here in the UK we will have a very intensive campaign that will last maybe 4 to 8 weeks. It's a lot different to the US system. Pretty much everything in the UK is based on precedent or unwritten 'rules'. The governing party can call a general election at any time, but is normally expected after 4 years or 5 years at the most. I can't believe how long the election campaign takes in the US - a whole quarter of the elected term . Also, although we don't vote directly for the PM, you can be sure that 99% of votes really are for the voter wants to be the next prime minister .
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #29
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shields View Post

I'm sure he'll do the right thing for his country. The attacks on him as a 'friend of terrorists' surely won't stick
Paul, as far as people actually believing that Obama is a friend of terrorists- never, ever underestimate the stupidity of the American people.....
Old 10-06-2008   #30
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shields View Post
Here in the UK we will have a very intensive campaign that will last maybe 4 to 8 weeks. It's a lot different to the US system. Pretty much everything in the UK is based on precedent or unwritten 'rules'. The governing party can call a general election at any time, but is normally expected after 4 years or 5 years at the most. I can't believe how long the election campaign takes in the US - a whole quarter of the elected term . Also, although we don't vote directly for the PM, you can be sure that 99% of votes really are for the voter wants to be the next prime minister .
Wow, imagine if we could have an election process in the US that only lasted 8 weeks!!!!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: