LASIK - experience???
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 23
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default LASIK - experience???

Anybody here have the LASIK procedure? How did it affect your view through the finder? Any input would be helpful since I am seriously considering this procedure.

Canon 5D
metalstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 40
Default Re: LASIK - experience???

Yes, and it was the greatest life-changing operation for me. Mine came back in 1999 at a cost of $5,500, and it was worth twice that to me.

But it IS an operation, so be careful who you choose.

And don't move when you're looking at that blinking light!

In terms of photography, I credit the operation for getting me back into it. Taking photos with glasses on was always no fun for me!
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 80

Oh I'm with you...I've wondered about that. I HATE using my glasses when I'm doing photography but I have a very hard time wearing contacts because my eyes dry out too badly.

Sara
Old 08-01-2005   #4
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellette
Oh I'm with you...I've wondered about that. I HATE using my glasses when I'm doing photography but I have a very hard time wearing contacts because my eyes dry out too badly.

Sara
My eyes were always very dry. Lasik will probably make this worse, as the operation severs some of the nerves in the eye that transmit information to your brain about your eyes being dry, but for me, the tradeoff was worthwhile.
Old 08-01-2005   #5
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Morrison
But it IS an operation, so be careful who you choose.
How did you choose? The doctors I am considering are members of The American Academy of Ophthalmology, American Medical Association, The Jackson Ophthalmological Society, and The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons. Also board certified ophthalmologist by the American Academy of Opthalmology. Other than the credentials how do you tell?
Old 08-01-2005   #6
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
My sister had a radial caretotemy (sic) operation in the early nineties. I think that it's similar but don't know the details. It was fantastic for her first eye but a year later in her second eye something went wrong with the healing and she basicaly has lost most of her vision in it. I don't want to scare anyone but I would chose my doctor very carefully in something so vital, and folow post op care religiously.
My step-father had RK done probably about 15 years ago. That was when they actually cut radial incision into the cornia and the healing incisions would reshape the cornea. Yeah..he was good for about 5 years and now his vision has deteriated since then but not as bad as it was prior to surgery in his opinion(but still pretty bad). But yeah..RK seems so stone-age compared to the LASIK procedures.
Old 08-01-2005   #7
Llama

How did I choose? I went to my ophthalmologist of 20 years and said, "Lin, if you were going to get this operation done today, whom would you choose? I don't care if I have to go to India on a (photo)camel. Just tell me who the best is."

He told me his opinion. He said, "there are lots of doctors doing this today, but when I'm in a conference and xxx speaks, everyone listens."

That was that.

Depending upon your prescription,expect to need "enhancements," or follow-up surgeries. The follow-ups are not nearly as harrowing as the first.
Old 08-01-2005   #8
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Morrison
How did I choose? I went to my ophthalmologist of 20 years and said, "Lin, if you were going to get this operation done today, whom would you choose? I don't care if I have to go to India on a (photo)camel. Just tell me who the best is."
You're lucky you had a good relationship with a ophthmologist. I haven't see one ever.
Old 08-01-2005   #9
Llama

I'll say this: see at least two prospective surgeons in separate practices before deciding on one.
Old 08-01-2005   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstorm
I haven't see one ever.

LOL, have you ever seen a dentist?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: