Super Bowl XL
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Super Bowl XL

Did I call it, or what?

LOL.

I did pick the Steelers, I believe.

I'm taking the Steelers in the bowl.

But the biggest news of all is this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2298365

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Ha, pretty funny JD.

What position will Saunders play on Offense? What? He is a coordinator? Ohhh, well that is gonna make the team better. Correct me if I got this wrong, but didn't the Redskins offense get rather in the playoffs than the Chiefs? And how does Saunders help a 55 year old Brunell?

I'm just having fun...but I'd like to know where these ideas come from

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #3
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles
Ha, pretty funny JD.

What position will Saunders play on Offense? What? He is a coordinator? Ohhh, well that is gonna make the team better. Correct me if I got this wrong, but didn't the Redskins offense get rather in the playoffs than the Chiefs? And how does Saunders help a 55 year old Brunell?

I'm just having fun...but I'd like to know where these ideas come from

Very funny.

But I think Dan Snyder is ahead of the game here and I don't know why others are letting him get so far out in front on this.

Here's the deal: It took the NFL brains a very long time to learn that in free agency, what matters are not the mega-players but the coaches that can create winners out of a wide assortment of guys.

There's a salary cap that keeps teams from piling up the great players, but there's NO salary cap on coaches' salaries.

So guess what Snyder has done with the Redskins? He's assembled what is, I believe, unarguably the best group of coaches in the league. Among the team's coaches you'll find no fewer than five men who could be head coaches tomorrow if they entered the market.

Why are they staying with the Skins? Money, mostly, but secondly the chance to create a dynasty under a Hall of Fame coach and thereby increase their own stock down the line when they do jump ship -- at a time when mega coaching salaries will be the norm and not the exception, thanks in toto to what Snyder is now doing. At some point the NFL will need to institute a cap on coaching salaries, thanks to what Snyder is doing (which was inevitable and not really Snyder's fault...he's just working the system).

You see, once the Skins start winning the big ones -- and that'll be next year -- all the teams are going to be opening their wallets to pay big bucks to hire the best coaches they can get at every assistant and asisstant assistant level. We're talking major coaching salary inflation in the coming years. Essentially, they'll be following the "Redskin" model.

For the Redskins, this is a win-win. They're able now to throw money at the best minds in football, knowing that they're creating a mega-winner and thus mega-earning team. They know they'll lose some of these guys down the road. But Gibbs is acting as CEO, and enough great minds are assembled there so that when Gibbs does step aside, the reigns will be handed to one or more of an assortment of very competent folks, with system in place.

Snyder and Gibbs are in the process of changing how things are done in the NFL. Others, for now, are just watching.

A few things to remember about the Skins:

1. With anything better than a mediocre offense, the Skins would have been 15-1 this season. The defense is tops and kept the Skins in games that the offense lost. The Giants blowout was an aberration.

2. The Skins just hired the guy who masterminded the #1-ranked offense in the NFL -- not the #2 or #3 but the #1. The chiefs always had a lousy defense. The Skins do not. Saunders was going to be hired as a head coach when Gibbs swooped in and stole him.

3. The playoffs next year roll through Washington. Bet on it.

Old 01-23-2006   #4
Camel Breath

We'll just have to disagree on that, bauerman, and wait till next year to see who's right.

Redskins fans know all too well from painful experience that good coaching trumps star-studded rosters every time.

I'm not sure of what personnel issues you're referring to. The Skins are one or two top receivers and a beefed-up offensive system away from being unstoppable.

Watching the Seattle game was painful for a lot of Redskins fans, I'm sure. The Skins could have beaten Carolina, no problem, even this year.

Your Bears, by the way, are in bad need of an offense. I haven't been following the team, but I could tell that the QB just wasn't ready for prime time. He looked like he was just out of high school.
Old 01-23-2006   #5
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerman
I don't think that the Skins are the "couple of tweaks" away that you think they are.......
Again, we'll just have to wait and see. Let's just say that success such as the kind that put Joe Gibbs in the Hall of Fame is no coincidence.
Old 01-23-2006   #6
Administrator

HEY, quit picking on Gus Ferrotte. He used to be a Detroit Lion

What are the odds that the Redskins will even make the playoffs next year? According to NFL.com, the Redskins gave up more yards than the Packers. Ouch, that hurts. Both Dallas and Tampa Bay had fewer first downs allowed and fewer plays than the Redskins too.

The Redskins need to improve the Defense some, and really need to crank out some cash for Offense people. The Bears way back proved you can win with a so so offense, but the Redskins don't have anybody like McMahon for the other guys to rally around. Not too many QBs that I would love to have on my team, but Favre, McMahon, and Brady are three of them. And I like them all for their ability to get others average players to help their inabilities.

In that division, Parcells isn't done yet...and I hate the Cowboys.

Old 01-23-2006   #7
Camel Breath

Looks to me as though the Steelers deserve to be where they are this year. That last game was as complete a performance as I can recall seeing. Ben R. is amazingly good for a 2nd-year guy.
Old 01-24-2006   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 65

Talk about sugar sweet and prim and proper postings. Why all the kissy face and political correctness? Geeze, I need to go find a Nikon vrs. Canon thread.

Mike
Old 01-24-2006   #9
Administrator

All I can say is my hometown Detroit Lions play at Ford Field and their owners name happens to be Ford. Enough said....

Old 01-24-2006   #10
Administrator

The Detroit Lions could NOT win with Barry Sanders. They had a "Hall of Fame" (possible) coach, and fired him thinking "He isn't good enough to coach the Detroit Lions". And the coach they had after firing Mariucci wasn't good enough for the Detroit Lions, so he became head coach of the Buffalo Bills. And Charlie Batch used to be a Lion, and now he backs up Rothlesberger.

The Detroit Lions are this year, finally getting as close to the Super Bowl as they ever will. A tight owner, who's more concerned about laying off 30,000 people and closing 12 plants while still building a Super Chief Pickup truck with a 12 foot bed and refridgerated console, than building a winning football team is a good example of what not to do. I don't own season tickets because of Ford.

And to keep this all in perspective, and to meet Mikes request for combatical threads, I'm NOT a Ford guy, I'm a Chevy guy... but I drive a PT Cruiser. If that isn't Nikon vs Canon vs Olympus, I don't know what is

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: