Photocamel site speed
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Photocamel site speed

I don't know whether it's my work connection or not, but I've been getting snappy loads from the Photocamel site lately. Pages are appearing almost instantly.

How's the performance from where you are?

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 398383
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Photocamel site speed

Cat quick!

The influence of a well-balanced, well-ordered life is of inestimable value. . . . E.G. White
Kevin Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

It's much faster than before; a little while ago the speed was dismal. I don't actually have to wait after "Done" appears now...
Old 01-09-2006   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913

Lately it's been quick, but there are times when it stalls out on me.
Old 01-10-2006   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 65

I'd say so-so. Better than some, not as good as others. It really depends on how the internet is doing and what kind of load is going on. Although a lot of the Christmas spam has slowed down, there is still a lot of junk floating around the internet, causing problems and slow downs.

Although I can't prove it, I suspect us over here on the west coast are being affected by all the downloads of the latest security downloads from Microsoft. Almost all of the major pipelines come into the Northwest through Seattle and Gates hogs a lot of that bandwidth. But then, Gates causes a lot of the slow downs anyway.

Mike
Old 01-10-2006   #6
Russ Holmes

CamelKarma: 1583

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerman

I would echo Ohenry's comments exactly - robust performance 95% of the time - and then every now and then a page will just will not load or the reply will just not post.........

Jared
I get the same thing every now and again. When the page loads, it is usually quite fast and when it doesn't, I just refresh the page which normally takes care of the problem.

Web - http://www.focusingonflorida.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/russellholmesphotography

editing allowed, comments always welcome!
FocusingOnFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913

And is if on cue, I just got this a few moments ago

Old 01-11-2006   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Got this very nice note from AlwaysWebHosting, which hosts PhotoCamel:

=======

Hi, This is our newest server (has about 4 other domains on it... period!) so it shouldn't be having any problems.* Additionally, we watch load, processes, what user scripts do and other things very closely and haven't seen a hint of a problem at all...

To help us figure out whats going on, can you please have your users (or anyone experiencing connection issues to your site) to please perform a "Traceroute" from their PC to the photocamel.com domain name.* Directions to perform the traceroute can be found here:

photocamel.com

http://forums.alwayswebhosting.com/s...ead.php?t=1214

If you can have them send you the output, and you can send that info to us, we can see if/where any ping timeouts, or lags are. Moe than likely ,there may be an issue elsewhere on the internet between the user and the server along the network of another carrier, such as ATT or MCI that may have issues... That's my hunch, but if you can get me some traceroute data that would help us determine for sure.
Old 01-11-2006   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 65

The problem with trace routes is that most places block them due to security and DOS attacks, so you can't get a complete picture of the path with them anymore.

They are probably right about it being somewhere else on the network, but unless they are a very small hosting site, I doubt they are watching their servers and network load all that closely. Things change so fast that they would have to keep someone on it every second to catch load changes and it's just not practical. And looking at logs and reports afterwards doesn't help when you have a couple of clients watching pay per view movies, a football game over the internet or your biggest client pulling several gigs of data across the internet between sites.

Most of the big hosting sites have multiple backbone connections to prevent slow downs when one has a problem, but not all of them can do that because of expense and there are still too many single points where it all comes together as it crosses the US and goes over seas.

It's just one of those t hings that we all have to get use to as the internet fills up. If spam could be eliminated or even reduced, we'd all see a big speed up in response time.

Mike
Old 01-12-2006   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 21

It's just as fast as anything up here in Ontario, Canada, Jay!

Patzt is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: