Space?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 59
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Space?

If you had the opportunity, or if you had $200,000 to spend on flying into space, would you? Its been announced that in 2008, 5 spacecrafts will be flying commercially into space and 38 ppl have already paid for their $200,000 ticket to go. 90 have made deposits. Flights will be out of the Mojave Spaceport, California (used to be called Mojave Airport) - five spacecrafts flying commercially.

Old 01-01-2006   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 398383
Default Re: Space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
If you had the opportunity, or if you had $200,000 to spend on flying into space, would you? Its been announced that in 2008, 5 spacecrafts will be flying commercially into space and 38 ppl have already paid for their $200,000 ticket to go. 90 have made deposits. Flights will be out of the Mojave Spaceport, California (used to be called Mojave Airport) - five spacecrafts flying commercially.
I'm looking for sponsors.... Jay, I promise to wear a photocamel T-shirt if you sponsor me!
Seriously, sounds kind of fun and a bit of an adventure.... I think I'll wait until the tickets come down a bit.

The influence of a well-balanced, well-ordered life is of inestimable value. . . . E.G. White
Kevin Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 65

But for a mear $19,800,000 more you can go up in a real rocket and visit the space station.

Since these rocket planes won't really get up that high, it will probably be lousy picture taking weather... if you can get a window seat.

Mike
Old 01-02-2006   #4
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290

I would have go my piggy banks already started filling
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
That kind of money would buy some SERIOUS photo gear and travel tickets to exciting photo ops ... I'd rather do that than fly out iin space
Old 01-02-2006   #6
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

I saw the piece on 60 minutes last night. Interesting. Richard Branson, the guy from Virgin Records and Virgin Airways, is behind it. I'd put him up against Trump anyday. Sounds very neat,a nd would certainly be an experience. Kind of pricey now though. Burt Ruttan is one of the brain trusts also. He isn't to stupid. The whole lot of them beat out the consortium of Boeing, Lockhead, NASA, etc. for getting a ship into orbit twice in less than 2 weeks. Amazing.

But I'm with OHenry. I'd take the moeny and deposit on a few trips to different place on Earth. Of the 200 grand, I'd probably only drop about 10 grand on some photo stuff, and the rest goes into the travel and such. Sounds crazy, but I'd do it wihtout plucking down mega dollars for a new camera body or two, and a bucket full of new lenses. I'd take the trusty D60, get a couple of better lenses (something wide and something long like a 400 or 600mm), and a nicer printer with paper and ink for occasional printing. That would be it for me.

You could find the Pickle Man in the Sierras, and Germany, and Switzerland, and the East coast, and the Upper West coast, and others.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #7
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles
I saw the piece on 60 minutes last night. Interesting. Richard Branson, the guy from Virgin Records and Virgin Airways, is behind it. I'd put him up against Trump anyday.
Branson's great, a real English eccentric/hippy, but obviously very sharp and very very rich :P. There was speculation recently that he was looking to invest (i.e. take-over) the company I work for. We were all hoping that it would take off, but I think the men in suits got in the way.

Personally, I'd love to fly in space but will wait until the price drops to a reasonable level...
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #8
Dromedary

Mr. Pickles... I didn't see the story on 60 minutes last night.. Missed it... Anything good?*

I know that I wouldn't spend that much money to go up into space... I would much rather travel to many places throughout earth, than just one flight to space.* Plus, I am not sure if I could handle the flight. Im not crazy about heights and flying, but I also don't let it stop me from traveling.

Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #9
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

It was a good stroy. A "historical" look at how they got to where they were, and what they thought was possible in years to come. Interesting. They believe trips to the Moon will become ordinary, and they plan to put a "hotel" out in space, with a circle "tube" around it that the guests could run on. They also talked about putting water in it. Then you could swim in the water with 1/4 or 1/2 of a G pull, so you would swim fast, and float in the water at the same time.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006   #10
Dromedary

That must of been Rutan talking.... Could you imagine that? Did you see the two nights special on Discovery Channel of the flights and goals and expectations September after the second Ansari Flight (third flight to space)?* That was really good too.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: