need help from Working Photographers.....
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2005   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default need help from Working Photographers.....

Hi. I'm a photography student here in Ohio at Ohio Institute of Photography. I am working on getting a grant to help me pay for my schooling, etc, and I was informed that I need 3 "interviews" from working professional photographers by January 3rd. If any WORKING full time photographers would fill out these questions for me I would be so grateful. I don't have much time and most of the photographers in this area don't like to help OIP students because they see us as competition. I've called a few and gotten no's. I'm at the end of my rope here.

Here are the questions:

1. How did you get started in the field?
2. What do you like best about your job or field?
3. What is the best way for me to get started?
4. What kind of skills and ablilities would I need to do this work?
5. What are the educational or training requirements?
6. What are your duties in a typical day?
7. How do people advance? What is the career path in your organization?
8. Is there a demand for this type of work in this locale?
9. What is the salary range for entry level positions?
10. What are the typical benefits offered by companies who employ photographers?
11. What is the turnover for this type of work?
12. Do you have any idea of the demand for this type of work?
13. Could you refer me to others who can give me additional information about this occupation?
14. Are there suggestions, recommendations, or advice you can give me concerning this occupation?

(Okay since these are a bit lame in my opinion, I"m adding a few questions of my own)

1. Do you think photographers are hired more as a service industry (per job) or as an employee?
2. Should a photographer specialize in one type of photography or be more rounded, like be well versed in 35mm, digital, 4x5, etc?
3. Since this is a competitive business, what would being successfully competitive involve in commercial and portraiture photography?
4. Are there other ways to make money in photography besides selling to the general public? If so, what avenues have you used?
5. What do you like best about your job? What do you dislike most about your job?

Thanks in advance to any professionals that fill this out. Please also include: employer (if self, please state that), name, phone number, address and website if you have one. I won't give this out to anyone other than the government agency (bureau of vocational rehab) that I'm working with.

Please email to me: duckwaterATgmail.com

Thank you so much!!!

Old 12-31-2005   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079
Default Re: need help from Working Photographers.....

Ok,

I am sure we have some full time photographers on this forum. Please help this student out. I would but I am not a full time photographer.
Old 12-31-2005   #3
Alpaca

You mean a full time photographer? *G*
bluejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejean
You mean a full time photographer? *G*
Fixed
Old 01-03-2006   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

Would this get more notice in the camera talk forum?
Old 01-03-2006   #6
Alpaca

possibly... they gave me an extention until friday so that helps.... I'll repost.. thanks!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: