Looking For A Job! Need Some Help
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 450
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Looking For A Job! Need Some Help

Can you guys and gals do me a favor? I've been looking for a new job in the computer field but haven't had much luck (the times are bad). I live in Michigan but to be honest I'm about ready to pack up and move anywhere right now. Anyway, I've created an online resume site to hopefully attract some attention to myself. Would you mind looking at it and giving me some feedback? I think it's basically ready to go but I would like to have a few people look at it before hand. And if you think it's ok the way it is and know of somebody looking for a computer guy would you mind forwarding the address to them?

http://www.jonfostersresume.com/

Thanks a bunch!

Jon.

And check out my photos @ http://www.pbase.com/jfoster
Jon Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #2
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Looking For A Job! Need Some Help

I don't come across much in the way of on-line resumes/CVs in the UK, but it is an interesting angle and helps you to display yourself in the best possible light. I don't see anything glaringly wrong in the website presentation, in fact it looks very slick and professional.

I work in IT myself, and if there was one thing I'd want to see more of in your resume, it would be more detail around what you are currently doing and what you aim to be doing (e.g. rather than describing your IT experience as 'everything you can think of', I would break it down into tangible things that describe your current skillset). I think a CV should mostly concentrate on what you are currently doing/want to be doing. Anything from previous employment (particularly if it's 5 or more years old) is mostly irrelevant. It's a tough job marketing yourself, and I wish you all the best in your endeavours !

Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 450
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Looking For A Job! Need Some Help

Thanks for the input Paul. I'll see what I can do to work your suggestions into the site.

So far the sight hasn't generated too much traffic but it's only been a week (that's what I keep telling myself anyway). I don't think resume sites are very big here in the states either but maybe I can start a trend!

Jon.

And check out my photos @ http://www.pbase.com/jfoster
Jon Foster is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: